Program Associate (Water)
Winrock is seeking candidates for the position of Program Associate, Water and may be Program Associate 1, 2, or Senior Program Associate depending on the experience of the selected candidate. The position will support program and project implementation and management, as well as new business development, focusing on water resource and sanitation projects in developing countries. Winrock International’s Clean Energy, Environment & Water (CEEW) group’s portfolio includes a range of small and large, complex, internationally funded projects undertaking a wide range of activities, including water resource management (WRM), WASH, water governance, and Multiple-use water Services (MUS) programs at the community, province and national levels. The Water Unit currently works predominately in sub-Saharan Africa, but the applicant should expect to support the expansion of our portfolio into new areas in Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
Project Implementation and Management (70%)
• Support project backstopping and coordination of technical contributions of Winrock staff and consultants, help with quarterly and annual reports to donors, review deliverables, and monitor project activities, expenses and budgets.
• Support and/or prepare technical reports and deliverables that may include working with field teams to write and edit reports and other deliverables.
• Liaise with Winrock’s Operations team (HR, Contracts, Procurement, etc.) to provide guidance to field teams.
• Oversee project accounting activities relating to expense reimbursements, advances, monthly payments, and wire transfers by working with Winrock’s Finance team and the field offices.
• Work with CEEW’s Financial Analyst to manage and update project budgets.
• Develop consulting agreements and review consultant expense reports.
• Develop subcontract, purchase orders, and other agreements to support project implementation.
• Track procurement correspondence and ensure procurement and IT units respond promptly to questions and requests for approval from the field.
• Liaise with field staff, HQ staff/support units, project partners, and donors.
New Business Responsibilities (30%)
• Support new business efforts to identify, track, and provide technical input on opportunities to expand Winrock’s water practice. This includes support for strategic planning, gap assessments, competition analysis, new business capture, research to help with technical program design, proposal writing, and budget development.
• Work with Winrock’s Contracts, New Business Support, HR, and other administrative support units to help develop new business proposals, engagement letters, and capabilities statements.
• Schedule proposal activities and work with other team members to ensure deadlines are met.
• Stay abreast of international water and sanitation activities, programs and funding opportunities.
• Depending on level of experience, speak or participate in conferences or other events on technical water issues to help demonstrate Winrock’s expertise.
• Perform other tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Water Resource Management, International Development, Public Administration or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
• 1 - 5 years of experience working on water or international development. Time spent on completing a Master’s or Doctorate degree can be considered as experience where studies or work experience included field work.
• Demonstrated writing abilities.
• Demonstrated international experience strongly desired.
• Demonstrated knowledge of water resource and/or sanitation projects, issues, and management, including WRM, MUS, WASH, and the water-energy-food nexus.
• Experience working on US government funded activities, including project and proposal coordination is highly desirable.
• Project management experience is highly desirable.
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills required.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office required.
• Excellent organizational skills essential, including ability to coordinate a variety of tasks, meet deadlines, work effectively under pressure, and work as team player.
• Demonstrated strong analytical capability and problem solving abilities required.
• English professional-level oral and written fluency required; fluency in one other major language preferred, especially Spanish or French.
• Ability to effectively engage in projects across diverse geographic, cultural, and technical areas.
• Ability to demonstrate the highest level of ethical standards at all times.
- Must be willing and able to travel without dependents to remote locations both domestically and internationally. Travel does not normally exceed 3 weeks per trip.
- Must have valid employment status in US.