Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In nine years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 360,000 children in cities around the world.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
• People – People first. People second. People third.
• Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
• Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
• Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
• Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
The Program Director leads the full portfolio of Splash’s water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programs in all six countries where we currently work. S/he serves as a member of the senior leadership team and reports directly to the Executive Director. This position is a critical leadership position providing direct management of US program staff as well as indirect oversight for staff in our country offices. The Program Director will have an opportunity to shape the future structure and staffing of the Programs Department.
Key responsibilities include oversight of Splash’s existing programs as well as leading development of future program strategies across all regions.
Application deadline: August 19, 2016
- Lead our programs portfolio, directly managing 6 US staff and providing oversight for local staff and programmatic work in six countries, and serve as a member of the management team
- Shape Splash’s future program strategy in close collaboration with the Executive Director and Country Directors
- Play a pivotal role in operationalizing Splash’s Theory of Change which articulates six outcome areas: improved WASH infrastructure, changed behavior, shifted norms, leveraged partnerships supportive government practices, and localized transitions
- Demonstrate a relentless pursuit of quality, and ensure that every aspect of our programmatic work is conducted in accordance with our values; this includes identification and assessment of potential and current partners
- Direct our continuous program learning process through measurement, study and dissemination of best practices, and planning for scale
- Work closely with our Development team to respond to grant opportunities and ensure accurate, proactive communication with donors as our program strategies evolve and progress milestones are met
- Proactively review program data across all country program portfolios to assess program effectiveness, identify potential needs for changes in program design or implementation, and ensure adherence to Splash implementation quality and data quality standards
- Lead the annual program planning process to update country strategies and develop the annual program budget
- Provide world class managementand support to direct reports, and serve as a trusted leader and mentor to other staff
- Play a key role in designing the future structure of the programs department to support scale and drive impact across our six outcome areas
- Maintain and expand knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector, including participation in events/conferences.
- Serve as a champion, advisor, and thought partner for standard Splash procedures and tools, especially for Operations (including HR) and Finance
- Represent Splash in meetings and conferences with external organizations or individuals such as donors, vendors, and collaboration partners
- Be willing and able to travel internationally (20-25% travel)
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire, and will be reviewed at least annually. Splash provides generous benefits including paid time off, medical, dental, and vision, as well as a 401k plan.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
A qualified candidate must have at least 15 years of work experience including at least 10 years of relevant program experience in international NGOs in the health or education sector. International experience and cultural sensitivity are required; an understanding of the challenges and issues in international development in urban areas is strongly preferred. In addition, candidates should have experience building strong partnerships with government and NGO partners and the ability to represent Splash and its partner organizations effectively to diverse audiences.
Desired Attributes Include
- You are comfortable adapting to new opportunities, and are willing to shift, stumble, and grow within an ever-changing international development landscape.
- You are an inspiring mentor and are effective at leading, developing, and motivating people.
- You are results-oriented but also take time for personal connection (perhaps through office ping-pong battles).
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative, entrepreneurial environment.
- You are an effective communicator at all levels in an organization, with excellent verbal and written skills.
- You possess an extremely high level of trustworthiness, integrity, and work ethic.
- You have a deep commitment to and interest in the mission and core values of Splash.