How do we create the financial system of tomorrow; one that drives both an inclusive economy and an economy that operates within the boundaries of a finite planet? How can the global insurance industry ensure that societies and economies around the world embed resilience to climate risk?
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated by these challenges, with the passion and skills to play a key programme management and analytical role in our work to help insurance companies, other financial institutions and policymakers deliver commercially-grounded leadership in response.
The University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership (CISL) empowers leaders to build a sustainable economy. We do this by catalysing market leadership through our business and policy platforms and world-class educational programmes, all informed by world-class research from the University of Cambridge and elsewhere. This role sits squarely in the sustainable finance business platform giving the successful applicant the opportunity to work directly with some of the largest insurance companies in the world.
CISL has worked on sustainable finance since the global financial crisis and our expertise is sought out globally by firms and policymakers. We work long-term with over 50 leading firms in the global investment, banking and insurance sectors through industry leadership platforms that we convene: the Investment Leaders Group, Banking Environment Initiative and ClimateWise group. Our expertise lie in how to embed resilience to environmental risk in routine financial decision-making, how to transform the positive impact that capital has on sustainability and how to harness the digital revolution in support of these goals.
This is an exciting and highly visible opportunity for someone to take responsibility for the design and delivery of CISL’s work with many of the world’s most influential insurance companies and ensure key insights are translated into our executive education and advisory services. The role holder will have regular exposure to Board-level representatives from across the industry.
Applicants should be committed to the values that underpin CISL’s work and will be expected to demonstrate the essential skills and experience as outlined in the roles Further Information:
- Thorough understanding of the global insurance sector
- Fluency in climate science, particularly from an actuarial perspective
- Demonstrated awareness and knowledge of the major global issues, trends and actors in the sustainability field that shape the context for the financial sector
- Several years’ experience in a relevant working environment with specific expert insight into the insurance industry and/or resilience to climate-related risks
- Proven expertise in successfully managing commercially viable projects or programmes for a range of clients, including projects which involve multiple clients or stakeholders
- Experience of different approaches to delivering change, such as organisational change and societal change
- Experience in line managing staff as well as managing project teams
- Excellent relationship-management skills and a proven ability to build, grow and maintain relationships with clients, delivery partners, sponsors and other external stakeholders
- Proficiency in Project management, including financial planning, developing and monitoring budgets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, indicating strong presentation and meeting facilitation skills
- Strong marketing and business development skills
The following experience is also desirable:
- Experience in event management
- Experience of working with external partners to deliver a common objective
- Fluency in a secondary language, European or Chinese
This post is offered on a full-time, permanent basis in an important growth area for CISL.