Marsh & McLennan (NYSE: MMC) is the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. The company’s nearly 65,000 colleagues advise clients in over 130 countries. With annual revenue over $14 billion, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading firms:
- Marsh advises individual and commercial clients of all sizes on insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions.
- Guy Carpenter develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities.
- Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations meet the health, wealth and career needs of a changing workforce.
- Oliver Wyman serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and government clients
The Global Risk Center (GRC) of Marsh & McLennan Companies (MMC) draws on the combined expertise of Marsh, Mercer, Guy Carpenter, and Oliver Wyman to address the major threats and trends facing industries, governments, and societies. Working both independently and with research partners we explore critical challenges and bring together leaders from different sectors to stimulate new thinking and practices. Our objectives are to:
- Provide insights on critical trends, incidents and opportunities that will help MMC capabilities better engage with external client needs, regulatory agenda and investor concerns.
- Provide MMC and its operating companies an informed voice on key risk issues impacting the long-term growth of the global economy
- Broaden awareness of emerging risks with our clients
- Convene operating company experts on issues of common interest
- Provide decision-makers with an understanding of the tools to mitigate risks or strengthen resilience
- Enhance MMC’s reputation as hub for intellectual capital generation
- Educate our colleagues of the underlying issues impacting the GRC’s thematic topics.
What We Offer:
This Director position offers exceptional career growth and opportunity to motivated, senior, experienced professionals. You will:
- Work in teams to solve high level business and industry problems facing Global 1000 clients and governments
- Interact with a variety of industries including: Retail, Financial Services, Health & Life Sciences, Energy, & Technology.
- Structure, lead and support innovative research and analysis linking transition and physical climate change risks and opportunities to our client’s businesses and investment portfolios
- Develop a broad network of academic, government and business experts
- Gain significant exposure to senior client and firm leadership
1. Thought leadership delivery:
- Together with the GRC team and an advisory panel drawn from MMC’s operating companies (OpCos), define and set the research agenda on Climate Resilience and contribute to agenda setting for the Center, overall
- Lead teams consisting of thought leaders from different MMC OpCos, external research partners and GRC staff to produce research on various aspects of Climate Resilience
- Support projects being undertaken in different themes, offering perspectives and analysis
- Create high-impact reports and articles, ensuring best-in-class quality content (and graphics where appropriate) providing insights based on industry, country, and client-specific expertise
2. Center and thought leadership promotion:
- Promote the Center among senior MMC / OpCo executives to ensure leverage of its materials and output
- Understand OpCo strategic priorities, value propositions and marketing agenda to ensure alignment with commercial objectives
- Prepare and lead executive level workshops, roundtables and conferences on developed research; take speaker roles at select client events and 3rd party conferences
- Work with GRC, MMC and OpCo Marketing and OpCo client relationship leads to ensure strong promotion of the Center’s outputs – including web presence, social media, presentation materials
- Build network of external experts, thought leaders, research institutions, drawn from the corporate, NGO, government and academic sectors
- Source potential new research partners
- Propose articles and people (internal / external) for BRINK, the daily newsletter and internet site for risk-related news (www.brinknews.com)
- Guide and train the research teams on Climate Resilience related analytical approaches and techniques, and lead the development of new analytical methodologies for the center
- Educate internal colleagues in MMC, GRC and the OpCo’s in your thematic topic
3. Center development and operations:
- Understand the cross-cutting client risk concerns and key thought leadership work being executed within the OpCos – updating others in the Center (incl. anticipates issues and themes from prior experience) o Provide clear reporting on outcomes of research initiatives in conjunction with GRC marketing
- Propose / deliver operational innovations / enhancements with respect to your theme
- Acts as a leader, mentor, and role model, demonstrating leadership in nurturing talent including the development and coaching of junior team members (rotational staff and fixed staff); write reviews on project and annual performance basis, give input into performance outcome reviews and bonus decisions
This position will require travel for events and meetings outside of your local office, though largely limited to the regional geography and primarily short in duration.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of professional work experience, especially relating to problem solving and analytics in the field of climate risk management
- Experience and knowledge of Green Finance and Socially Responsible Finance is highly desired
- Knowledge that demonstrates both a technical understanding of the transition and physical elements of climate risk, key risk issues impacting financial and non-financial companies, and the policy and economic implications of a range of forward looking climate scenarios. This may include a scientific, economic, and financial background.
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Project management experience, preferably in a consulting environment
- People management, convening and consensus building
- Public presentations and speaking experience
- Networking and engagement (including an existing strong, global network)
- Strong organizational skills
- High quality written communication in either in academic or business environments
- Strong understanding and comfort with both the transition (physical/technology) and physical (chronic/acute weather impacts) elements of climate change risk
- Knowledge of the current and developing investor and regulatory environment related to climate disclosure, including corporate reporting
- Understanding of the implications of extreme weather on physical assets, including supply chains, critical infrastructure and transportation systems
- Strong familiarity with testing and measurement methodologies, and mitigation strategies related to climate-related risk, including familiarity with NDCs and 2-degree pathways for sectoral transformation
- Familiarity (or direct experience) using Integrated Assessment Models to develop and run climate scenario analysis for investors and companies
- Familiarity with mechanisms used to finance climate-related investments, including blended finance and the role of Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs)
- Access to an existing network of corporate, government/regulatory and academic contacts