The Centre for Water Technology (WATEC) at Aarhus University offers a full professorship in Water Treatment Technology as described below. The position is funded by Poul Due Jensen Foundation and Aarhus University. The Foundation also makes available funding for a total of eight person-years of junior researchers (e.g. postdocs) associated with the chair, as well as for travel, consumables, etc. The position is available from November 1, 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter. WATEC is a cross departmental center at the faculty of Science and Technology. The centre unites and strengthens the research in water technology by forming a platform for collaboration between dedicated research groups, and forms a channel for communication with external partners.
The new WATEC professor will be affiliated with the Biological and Chemical Engineering section (BCE), at the Department of Engineering. The appointed professor should strengthen engineering research in water treatment technology by introducing research in new processes and process technology for next generation water treatment, which operates at reduced costs, improved energy balance, reduced carbon footprint, increased resource recovery and reduced emission of micropollutants. The professor is expected to take lead in the build up of completely new process laboratories, with a strong focus on research employing larger prototypes and pilot scale equipment. The new professor will collaborate with other researchers at WATEC and Department of Engineering on process and technology development. Due to very close ties, and physical proximity between Engineering and Science departments, the professor will also have excellent collaboration opportunities with natural science Departments (Bioscience, Chemistry, Physics, iNANO etc.).
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Present plans for relevant high-impact research on water treatment technology and interaction with other WATEC researchers
- Conduct research at the highest international level
- Successfully attract external research grants from industry, national and international sources
- Develop and contribute to relevant educational courses at the PhD, Master’s and Bachelor’s level
- Participate in supervision of Bachelor, Master’s, and PhD students and postdocs
- Establish synergies between your own research and other related research activities to secure the needed interdisciplinary approaches
- Maintain a strong national and international network of contacts with leading research groups, as well as pursuing industrial contacts
- Be responsible for effective knowledge exchange with society, utility companies, and industry
- Mentor post docs and young researchers in attracting competitive funding.
- Place of employment and place of work
For further information contact Head of Biological and chemical Engineering Section Lars DM Ottosen (+45 51371671 / [email protected]) or Head of WATEC, Niels Peter Revsbech (+45 23382187 / [email protected])
Shortlisting is used. This means that after the deadline for applications – and with the assistance from the assessment committee chairman, and the assessment committee if necessary, – the head of department selects the candidates to be evaluated. The selection is made on the basis of an assessment of who of the candidates are most relevant considering the requirements of the advertisement. All applicants will be notified within 6 weeks whether or not their applications have been sent to an expert assessment committee for evaluation. The selected applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee and will receive his/her assessment. Once the recruitment process is completed a final letter of rejection is sent to the deselected applicants, including the main considerations emphasized during the selection process.
Formalities and salary range
Science and Technology refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any). Guidelines for applicants can be found here.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of their personal background. Research activities will be evaluated in relation to actual research time. Thus, we encourage applicants to specify periods of leave without research activities, in order to be able to subtract these periods from the span of the scientific career during the evaluation of scientific productivity.
Desired skills and experience
- PhD degree or equivalent qualifications
- Documented research qualifications at professorship level
- Experience in communication of research in a wide context
- Ability to strengthen national and international cooperation within the research area
- Documented ability to attract research funding
- Documented experience with supervision of postdocs, PhD and MSc students
- Documented teaching experience
- Documented leadership skills in relation to international collaboration and development of interdisciplinary research teams.