The Development Innovations Group (DIG) is seeking a Sanitation Consultant to be based in Lilongwe, Malawi for the USAID-funded Organized Network of Services for Everyone’s (ONSE) Health activity. The overall purpose of the ONSE activity is to support Government of Malawi’s efforts to improve the health of its citizens through the delivery of integrated health services. The program is focusing on: improving access to and quality of priority health services; strengthening district health systems; and increasing community demand for priority services. Water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) is a core component of the program. WASH activities aim to: increase access to and management of improved water supply and sanitation facilities; and cultivate a market-based approach for the delivery of WASH products and services. The Sanitation Consultant will work with the WASH Team to provide technical assistance for the implementation of ONSE’s sanitation approaches, activities, and monitoring and evaluation mechanisms, as well as contribute to the timely achievement of milestones and targets. S/he will also assist in the quality review of key deliverables. This consultancy will be for up to three months.
Qualifications and Experience:
1. Master’s degree in public health, civil engineering, environmental health, or related field of expertise.
2. Ten years of experience in sanitation, specifically in developing countries; relevant experience includes expertise in innovative, affordable, and appropriate sanitation solutions for low-income populations in rural and urban areas. 3. Demonstrated experience building market-based approaches to sanitation service delivery, particularly with the private sector and sanitation financing.
4. Hands-on experience strengthening government, non-government, and community capacity to address sanitation issues and improve the delivery of sanitation services, including ODF activities.
5. Strong understanding of USAID sanitation/WASH priorities, environmental regulations, best practices, and evidence-based strategies for improving access to water and sanitation services.
6. Knowledge of best practices and lessons learned from previous sanitations interventions in East Africa, specifically Malawi, required.
7. Fluency in English is required. Strong writing and editing skills highly desired.
8. Malawian nationals encouraged to apply.
To apply, please email CV, cover letter, salary history, and three professional references from previous employers (name, title, affiliation, daytime phone, and email) to: [email protected] Please include “Sanitation Consultant – ONSE” in the subject line of the email. Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only shortlisted candidates who have met the required experience and qualifications will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you for your interest.