Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA) has received a USD 303 million grant from
the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to finance the Water Resources Development Investment Program
(WRDIP), which consists of three Tranches. Tranche-2 of the facility will fund the rehabilitation and
up-grade of the 74,300 ha Lower Kokcha Irrigation Scheme. The estimated value of the single ICB contract
for the civil works is USD 70 million and the construction period is 36 months.
Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW) as implementing agency established a Project Management Office (PMO)
headed by a Program Director to oversee the management of the project. MEW requires a Contract
Administration and Engineering Support Unit (CAESU) who will be delegated with the task of supervision.
An experienced Resident Engineer will be selected to head the CAESU. He will be reporting to the CAESU’
s National Director. For contractual matters, all consultants will correspond with the “authorised
person” named in the contract. The CAESU will be stationed in Kunduz. The CAESU Director will act as
the government and community liaison officer, dealing with Provincial Governors, other Provincial
Directors, River Basin and Sub-basin Directors, Community Leaders, etc. The CAESU Director will be
supported by International Social and Environmental Specialists, Construction and Supervising Engineers,
Survey Team, etc.
Scope of Work
The Ministry of Energy and Water is seeking to engage a Team Leader/ Resident Engineer (international)
to head the Contract Administration and Engineering Support Unit delegated with the task of supervising
the rehabilitation and upgrade of the 74,300 ha. Lower Kokcha Irrigation Scheme comprised of the
following civil works:
i) Civil works ICB contract for the Rehabilitation of Lower Kokcha Irrigation System Main Canal and
Intakes (USD 71 million)
ii) NGO contract under Tranche 2 for the establishment and strengthening of IAs and WUAs in the Takhar
and Kunduz provinces (USD 6.96 million)
The maximum duration of the supervision contract for any individual consultant is 36 months and is
scheduled to commence after awarding the contract for the selected bidder but before issuing the Notice
to Proceed, for those consultants who would be needed at the very beginning. The consultant’s Resident
Engineer shall assume the role of “The Engineer”, with responsibility for ensuring the timely completion
of the civil works contract, within budget and to a high standard of construction. The engineer shall
represent the ministry (client) in dealings with the contractor.
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
• Support and advise the Project Implementation Office (PIO) Director on all aspects of the civil works
contract and assist in the preparation of reporting documents required by the GIRoA and ADB.
• Liaise with the PIO Director to co-ordinate activities.
• Review and approve submissions by the contractor, including a realistic work programme that targets
completion within the contract period.
• Supervise construction activities to ensure the works comply in every respect with the contract
specifications, drawings and work schedule.
• Approve corrections and modifications to the original drawings as required by site and other
• Devise a process for ensuring a comprehensive record of all project activities is maintained,
including daily work diaries, site orders, site order books, minutes of meetings, survey and design
sheets, shop and “as-built” drawings, publications and other documents.
• Assist PIO to establish and maintain accurate record keeping systems.
• Supervise measurements of works done, check quantities, invoices bills, claims, etc., and ensure
• Ensure timely submission of biannual progress reports to the Program Director.
• Prepare the procedures for the handing/taking over of completed works and formally accept completed
works on behalf of the PMO.
• Prepare annual budget in consultation with the CAESU team and the contractor, and ensure its
submission to the Program Director.
• Monitor project costs at every stage and compare with the original estimates. Highlight any variance
to the Program Director and provide justification thereof. Discuss and agree with the Program Director
to take appropriate steps to ensure that the project will be completed within the budget estimate.
• Any other responsibility concerning the project, assigned by the Program Director.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
a) University degree in Engineering with a least 10 years of Project Management Experience
b) At least 5 years of civil works project’s management and implementation, preferably ADB funded
c) Knowledge of FIDIC contract’s administration, contract procedures and project follow-up.
d) Excellent communication skills.
e) Fluency in English writing, reading and spoken
f) Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance
knowledge of web based project management systems
g) Be a citizen of an ADB member country
Minimum General Experience 10 Years
Minimum Specific Experience (relevant to assignment) 5 Years