ZOA is an international NGO that inspired by Christian identity and biblical message of reconciliation and restoration of a broken world with its headquarters in the Netherlands. ZOA operate in fifteen countries and on three continents. At ZOA we provide relief to people affected by conflict or natural disasters, contribute to a new perspective of hope in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities we work on the recovery of their livelihoods.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
About the position
ZOA – Uganda is currently leading a consortium with partners IAS and Malteser International implementing a WASH project in Imvepi Refugee Settlement with both hardware and software components. ZOA is therefore seeking to recruit a Project Engineer – WASH to support the hardware component for a period of four (4) months from May, 2018 to August, 2018.
Lead engineering activities during feasibility studies, technical design and construction works
Supervise and monitor contractors
Support WASH plans and implementation activities with technical support
Contributes to preparation and planning of projects and provide input for new proposals
Stimulates good team spirit and Christian Values among programme staff
Maintains good relationships with local authorities, partner organizations in the consortium, other organizations and actors linking to the relevant sectors
Produces monthly and activity plans as required by ZOA
Responsible for providing technical guidance and oversight resulting in quality construction and materials supply
Ensure that all project activities are in accordance with budgets available and being implemented on schedule
Prepare assessments, documentation and project design documents including BoQs
Take part in the strategic planning, scheduling, monitoring and assessments, and evaluation of the ZOA WASH project
Ensure documentation of project progress is on-going and integrate sound M&E procedures in all aspects of the project
Ensure implementation of capacity building sessions in each community for the construction teams covering environmental issues related to construction
Creatively solve problems that arise with communities and local authorities in providing WASH solutions.
Make sure that all ZOA procurement and logistics policies are followed during the WASH activities implementation.
Responsible for pre-qualification of good contractors to carry out WASH activities
Ensure that WASH activities are carried out in accordance with national requirement, norms and standards provided by government and international agencies.
Prepare documentation for final handover reports and certificates of completion for WASH facilities
Timely reporting, on a monthly basis, regarding all WASH activities in line with donor requirements.
· Degree or diploma in Civil Water Engineering or directly related field.
· Minimum of three years’ experience in coordination or managing construction of WASH facilities.
· Strong knowledge and experience in engineering and construction projects with related processes like tendering of works, monitoring of construction sites etc.
· Performance and/or qualification in water engineering will be key/added advantage
· Proven experience in technical design.
· Knowledge and experience in GIS/GPS.
· Familiarity with the SPHERE standards and Minimum Standards as required by the Government of Uganda.
· Leadership and supervisory skills and ability to foster team spirit.
· Ability to liaise with other ZOA engineers.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders
· Strong facilitation, negotiation and mediation skills and ability to work independently
· Good report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets.
· Skills in technical drawings software (preferably AutoCad) software are desirable
· Good understanding of WASH approaches such CLTS, PHAST and Child to Child etc.
· Positive and open personality
· Good interpersonal skills and good command of English
· Valid motorbike driving license (Must)
· Experience in the refugee settlements in West Nile is an added value