The WASH Specialist will be based in Erbil, he/she will lead technical aspects of medium to large scale WASH in emergencies response. The WASH specialist, with limited support, leads on sectoral assessments, programme design and provides technical advice to ensure quality of WASH interventions. He/she develops/updates sector strategy, master budget, set-up coordination mechanisms and integrate SC’s theory of change. He/she plays a technical leadership role within the response team, ensuring that WASH programs are delivered with high quality and meet recognized standards. The Specialist supports colleagues and works to ensure that broader sectors integrations with Child protection, Education, FSL and advocacy. The specialist is expected to mentor and build the capacity of Save the Children and partners’ staff.
· Master in engineering, Public health or equivalent required.
· Arabic Language/Kurdish – preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· A minimum of five years of experience working in the water and sanitation field including emergency response.
· Advanced knowledge of water and sanitation engineering and training in the use of a variety of water equipment including emergency mobile water treatment and storage unit, sanitation kits, water treatment chemicals, design of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand dug wells, pipe lines, basic knowledge of treatment of sewages as well as concrete storages, etc.
· Previous experience of programme management.
· Ensures that systems are in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water supply and sanitation facilities and that projects are implemented in a consultative and participatory manner with beneficiaries.
· Demonstrated depth and breadth in participatory methods to engage local communities in needs assessments, design and implementation of local, culturally acceptable water and sanitation interventions.
· Support the long-term capacity building and programmatic integration of water and sanitation into Save the Children core programming in health, with particular emphasis on hygiene promotion and environmental sanitation.
· Commitment to, thorough understanding of, and able to train staff in participation and accountability approaches.
· Guide water and sanitation teams towards an integrated approach with other Save the Children programs to address community health needs, as well as cross-cutting themes such as gender.
· Demonstrated ability to set up monitoring & evaluation systems in large complex programmes.
· Demonstrated ability to set up learning and development processes.
· Proven ability of mentoring and coaching.
· Experience at technical level representation and in developing and negotiating successful partnerships with donors.
· Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports in English.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level.
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
· Capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
· Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of Save the Children’s mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
· Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant contexts.
· Specific experience of designing and managing DFID, ECHO, OFDA, UNOCHA and other major donor projects.
Contract length: 12 Months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Primary Location: Iraq-Iraq-Erbil
Job: Programme Development & Quality
Organization: Iraq – SCI
Fixed Term Contract
Job Type: Full-time
Job Posting: Apr 2, 2018, 6:12:49 AM