The Investment Centre Division (TCI) promotes investment in food security, nutrition, agriculture and rural development (FSNARD), sustainable natural resource management (NRM) and climate change mitigation and/or adaptation (CCM/A) in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve growth, poverty alleviation, food security and nutrition goals.
FAO’s Coordination Unit for the Global Environment Facility (GEF) supports governments, civil society, and FAO Decentralized Offices to conceptualize, develop and deliver strategic GEF co-financed investments. FAO-GEF’s work focusses on the critical nexus between global environmental issues and sustainable agriculture and on the nexus between FAO’s own Strategic Programmes and the GEF’s Programming Directions. FAO’s GEF portfolio encompasses the range of investment priorities across GEF’s priority areas of work, including biodiversity, climate change (mitigation and adaptation), land degradation, chemicals and waste, international waters and sustainable forest management.
TCI is a multidisciplinary division composed of three regional services, namely Africa Service, Asia and the Pacific Service, and Europe, Central Asia, Near East, North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean Service, as well as FAO’s Coordination Unit for the GEF.
The post is located in TCID.
The Technical Officer (Natural Resources-GEF) reports to the Senior Coordinator, GEF.
Identification, design, implementation support and monitoring of FAO-GEF projects and programmes and those of other environmental financing mechanisms. It includes strategic and policy work, with a focus on the nexus between global environmental challenges and sustainable agriculture, including climate change and resilience, land, water, fisheries, forestry, biological diversity and other environmental services.
Provision of technical expertise for the development, approval and delivery of environmental investment projects for FAO member countries in accordance with FAO Strategic Framework, GEF Programming Directions, and country priorities.
- Provides technical expertise and project design guidance to project proponents in the identification, development and implementation of natural resource/environmental project proposals that address country priorities and further FAO and GEF (or other environmental funds) strategic objectives, programme priorities and operational policies and procedures.
- Contributes to the strategic programming of FAO’s GEF work, and assists in coordinating GEF team work for respective region.
- Participates in, and potentially leads, multidisciplinary teams to assist governments and Decentralized Offices in the identification and formulation of natural resource and environmental management projects for financing by the GEF Trust Fund, Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF), Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF) or other environmental funds.
- Ensures quality control at all stages of the GEF project cycle in line with GEF eligibility criteria and alignment with GEF Programming Directions.
- Coordinates the preparation and approval of project proposals and as required takes a lead role in drafting proposals.
- Assists in the management of the FAO-GEF portfolio, monitors and supervises implementation of assigned projects and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Keeps abreast of new developments and requirements in the GEF-managed and other environmental funds.
- Contributes to the preparation of the annual Project Implementation Reviews (PIR) and to FAO’s reporting to the GEF Secretariat and GEF Council.
- Participates in the design and delivery of capacity development activities to FAO technical staff in headquarters and Decentralized Offices on the strategies, priorities and procedures, trends and issues related to GEF, adaptation and other environmental funds.
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in natural resources management, environment, or natural resource economics, or in a field directly related to one or more of the following areas: biodiversity, climate change, energy, sustainable land, forest or water management
- Seven years of relevant experience in biodiversity conservation, climate change, energy, land, water, forest or fisheries management, including GEF project and programme preparation experience
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French
- Results Focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills with proven ability to write project documents and papers and ability to analyse and integrate diverse information from various sources
- Extent and relevance of experience in preparation of projects and programmatic approaches (particularly GEF projects and programmes) and in results-based monitoring and supervision of multidisciplinary projects
- Extent and relevance of experience with and knowledge of the procedures of GEF and other environmental funds
- Extent and relevance of experience in one or more of the GEF focal thematic areas (biodiversity, climate change, international waters, land degradation, sustainable forest management, sound chemicals management/persistent organic pollutants) that in turn is relevant to FAO’s priorities and comparative advantages
- Extent and relevance of experience in providing technical expertise or advice to project proponents at national, sub-regional and regional levels with regard to project development, results-based management, monitoring and evaluation planning, and monitoring for project impact
- Demonstrated capacity to write technical reports in English
- Knowledge of FAO’s project approval processes and Field Project Monitoring and Information System (FPMIS) would be an asset