At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Pact is recruiting a Chief of Party (COP) for the upcoming USAID-funded China Mekong Environment program. The purpose of the program is to enhance Environmental Safeguards in Chinese Infrastructure Investments in the Greater Mekong Region (China, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam).
The COP will provide technical leadership and operational oversight for the project and will serve as the primary liaison with USAID and relevant project stakeholders. This position is contingent upon award.
- Responsible for the overall technical direction of the project and management of project activities, providing leadership to the project team to ensure high quality programming to achieve project results.
- Serve as Pact’s liaison to USAID, partners, local governments, and other key stakeholders.
- Oversee project planning (i.e., development of work plans and operating budget) and reporting (i.e., review and approve periodic budgets and reports).
- Manage project budget to meet expected results, ensuring cost-effective use of Pact and donor resources.
- Ensure that Pact provides high-quality technical assistance to local partners; conduct regular monitoring and mentoring visits to local partners.
- Ensure that USAID and Pact reporting requirements on program impact are met. Oversee project staff in helping partners establish reporting and tracking systems to provide key information in an efficient and timely manner.
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations, using customized capacity building tools and approaches to ensure measurable impact.
- Ensure close coordination with other relevant initiatives in country.
- Provide regular written/oral program progress updates as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in leading and managing international development programs or projects of similar scope and scale. Demonstrated professional experience in fields related to the successful implementation of this program is required, such as liaising with international businesses, development of multi-stakeholder platforms and networks, government engagement on politically sensitive issues, use of evidence-based assessments and research to influence decision-making, strategic environmental assessment, sustainable management of transboundary natural resources, environmental governance and institutional capacity building, social and environmental safeguard implementation, as well as an understanding of policy, economics, and market issues in these sectors.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a relevant field, such as natural resources management, environmental governance, sustainable development, environmental economics, international development, public/business administration, or governance.
- Knowledge of Chinese investments in the region and demonstrated experience liaising with Chinese businesses.
- Demonstrated track record in successfully building and effectively managing diverse teams of employees.
- Experience implementing complex and multifaceted projects, along with demonstrated skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities, and achieving results
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving, and ethical management.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with governments and civil society partners.
- Exhibit effective personnel management, coordination, and decision-making skills along with an ability to troubleshoot.
- Possess exceptional communication and collaboration skills and a proven track record of interacting with other projects, high-level government counterparts, and international agencies.
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of Asia strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English.
- Prior experience managing USAID programs.
- Proficiency in a relevant Asian language.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.