Background: The Bank is currently looking for a motivated professional to join the Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA) in Trinidad and Tobago. You will be in charge of the development of new operations (loans and technical assistance programs), supervision of the sector Bank’s portfolio and other related activities undertaken by the Division in Trinidad and Tobago, in the following areas: water resources, potable water supply, sanitation and wastewater collection and treatment, urban drainage and solid waste management.
Our team: We are a group of professionals with expertise in several development fields in the water and sanitation sector. Our Division conceptualizes, prepares, supports the execution and supervises the IDB’s operations related to water and sanitation. We seek to ensure universal and sustainable access to high-quality water, sanitation and solid waste management services to contribute to the sustainable economic growth of our member countries in Latin America and the Caribbean and a better quality of life for their citizens.
Our Division works with the country departments to design and execute country and regional financial and non-financial programs and projects and evaluates the development results of such interventions. It also performs quality enhancement functions for social development projects and programs, including guiding, designing and preparing Bank products’, execution, and analysis and mitigation of risks.
What you’ll do:
- Lead/support the Bank sector dialogue with government authorities, borrowing agencies, other lending entities and non governmental agencies.
- Lead/participate in the identification, preparation and assessment of requests for project financing, with and without sovereign guarantee, including requests for technical assistance, in accordance with the Bank policies, and considering conditions of the country, institutional capacities, and financing mechanisms available.
- Lead/participate in the execution and supervision of projects and activities carried out by the Bank, including comprehensive management of risks of projects in the portfolio.
- Lead/participate in the identification, preparation and development of studies and strategies, including policy and regulatory matters, in the water and sanitation sector.
- Join multidisciplinary teams in charge of the conceptual design and development of technically, institutionally and financially innovative proposals to attend needs of national, regional and local government agencies, as well as those of the private sector.
- Provide technical support to borrowers, country offices, governments and non-governmental agencies in fields of expertise and others related to Bank activities.
- Work with other sectors and departments of the Bank, to design, execute and monitor country and regional financial and non-financial programs and projects.
- Lead/support project teams in monitoring quality control of documents related to preparation of loan proposals, technical assistance operations and other activities.
- Lead/support the execution and dissemination of research, analysis and knowledge development activities.
Skills you’ll need:
Bachelor’s degree in sanitation/environmental Engineering or closely related field. Master degree (PhD would be a plus) in engineering, environment or social sciences, administration, financing or economics or other related fields.
- At least five (5) years working in operations and/or projects in the water and sanitation sector.
- At least two (2) years of experience in supervision, monitoring or management of infrastructure projects in the water and sanitation sector.
- Preferably with experience in working with national government and other partners at national and sub-national level in the water and sanitation sector.
- Preferably with experience in preparation and implementation of projects financed by multilateral agencies, in particular by IDB.
- Preferably with working experience in at least one of the Caribbean countries.
- Proficiency in English and another of the Bank official languages (Spanish, Portuguese or French).
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Length of contract: 3 years
Location: Country Office of the Inter-American Development Bank in Trinidad and Tobago
Requirements: Candidates must be citizens of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the bank.
If the selected candidate is international the specialist will be expected to rotate between country assignments every circa 3 to 5 years; should the candidate be national from Trinidad and Tobago he/she will be offered a local contract.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.