Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area – GIZ International Services – is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services has submitted their Expression of Interest for an up-coming EIB – funded tender: “Support to the integrated waste management programme in Jujuy”.
The main objective of the Integrated Solid Waste Management Programme (ISWMP) in the Province of Jujuy is to improve the quality of life for the inhabitants of Jujuy Province by addressing the issues related to climate change through the reduction of GHG, through the proper management of solid waste.
GIZ International Services will support the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to improve its project management capacities; its tasks will include feasibility studies, surveys for site location, public procurement, development and implementation of the environmental and social management plans, data consolidation and reporting on project implementation and monitoring, operation of the treatment facilities, capacity building, development and implementation of a social development plan and of a stakeholders engagement plan.
The Team Leader (m/f) will be responsible for the overall daily management of the program as well as the guidance and supervision of the Technical Assistance team. planning and implementation of the project S/he will coordinate technical and political actors involved to ensure smooth implementation of the programme implementation.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in a relevant discipline (Waste and Resource Management, Environmental Engineering Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, or equivalent), preferably at Master’s level;
- Proven Project management skills and experience in interacting and negotiating at political level, as well as working with regional and municipal authorities
- Experience in the development and implementation of waste management programmes (e.g. solid waste management, operation of waste management treatment plants, waste water management, contaminated site management, municipal waste management)
- Demonstrated programme management skills and an ability both to manage a team and work well across cultural boundaries.
- Excellent working command of key Microsoft Office tools (particularly excel, word and power point).
- Fluency in Spanish, and excellent speaking and drafting skills in English are mandatory.
General professional experience
- At least ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in the field of waste management
- Minimum experience of 10 years in project management and planning approaches and methodologies in different countries (preferably in countries with similar conditions and comparable complicities).
- Experience in institution-building of implementation/management units is required.
- Experience with technical and financial reporting procedures of IFIs is an asset.
Specific professional experience
- Participated in at least one internationally funded project in integrated waste management.
- Proven experience in training/capacity building/institutional development.
- Extensive experience on coordinating procurement, environmental, social and governance standards in projects and/or programmes.
- Experience in South American countries is mandatory, and previous experience in Argentina is considered an advantage.
- Knowledge of EIB policies, rules and guidelines in the areas of procurement, environment, social and governance would be an advantage.