The Global Environment Facility (GEF) is a multilateral financial mechanism created in 1991 to provide grant and concessional funds to recipient countries for projects and programs that address biodiversity loss, climate change mitigation and adaptation, degradation of international waters, land and forests, ozone depletion, elimination or reduction of persistent organic pollutants and mercury, all within the framework of sustainable development.
The GEF unites 183 countries in partnership with international institutions, civil society organizations (CSOs), and the private sector to address global environmental issues while supporting national sustainable development initiatives. An independently operating financial organization, GEF is the designated financial mechanism for five international environmental conventions: The Convention on Biological Diversity, the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Minamata Convention on Mercury. GEF is also a designated financial mechanism of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification.
Since 1991, the GEF has achieved a strong track record with developing countries and countries with economies in transition, providing $14.5 billion in grants for over 3,600 projects in over 165 countries. Pledges for GEF activities in the sixth replenishment period of 2014 to 2018, called GEF-6, is approximately $4.3 billion.
The GEF Secretariat, construed for administrative purposes as a Vice Presidential Unit (VPU) within the World Bank, has approximately 100 professional and administrative and client support (ACS) staff.
The Secretariat is seeking a Senior Climate Change Specialist to support the GEF Programs Unit with a series of program management, analytical and policy needs.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities
The GEF Secretariat is looking for a dynamic and experienced Senior Climate Change Specialist to participate in the implementation of the GEF2020 vision and of the GEF-7 replenishment and beyond to support the GEFSEC’s mandate to deliver global environmental benefits by supporting developing countries in their commitments towards several Multilateral Environmental Agreements. The ideal candidate should have a workable understanding of the complexity of the GEF partnership arrangement and of the dynamics of a complex set of GEF client countries. The candidate should have strong interpersonal skills, experience with climate change mitigation or “clean” technology projects in developing countries, along with political acumen and the capacity to work effectively on sensitive issues with senior management, the GEF Council and across different agencies of the GEF.
The Sr. Climate Change Specialist will provide support to the GEF Programs Unit and work across regions and thematic focal areas, as required.
Project Review and Regional Team Participation
Under the supervision of the Manager of the GEF Programs Unit, the position will:
- Participate in one or several Regional Teams, and contribute to the continued implementation of the GEF Programs Unit (GPU) business model including country resource programming, updates, and adjustments and participate in resource programming in the relevant Regional Teams with GEFSEC staff, GEF Agencies and Countries, including strategic role at the regional and country dialogues.
- Play an important role in developing strategies and programs to enhance GEFs impact and support the management of GEF’s portfolio of ongoing projects through implementation, monitoring, and evaluation activities with GEF Agencies and countries.
- Manage reviews of project proposals to be financed by the GEF Trust, according to the agreed project review criteria, provide guidance on major issues involved in the development of project proposals and assist in overall preparation of work programs to be presented to council.
- Participate in the GEF work within Regional Teams on GEF issues, including participation in country dialogues, expanded constituency workshops, and the GEF Country Support Program. As required represent the GEF at a senior level at selected international; political, scientific and operational forums.
- Provide cross-support for climate change mitigation activities across other GEF focal areas and programs, including the use of non-grant instruments for financing global environmental benefits.
- Participate in the political outreach to relevant countries in international fora, with the UNFCCC and other related international instruments
- Provide quality inputs to the CEO and GPU Director on country and thematic briefings, talking points, speeches, analytical/strategic documents
- Support the development and implementation of results-based management (RBM) and the integration of knowledge management in RBM, operational processes and procedures as requested.
- Undertake additional duties as required by Director and Manager of the GEF Programs Unit.
Coordination of the Climate Change Focal Area Team
- Under the guidance of the Multilateral Environmental Agreement (MEA) Lead Specialist and the GPU Director, participate and follow the UNFCCC meetings and negotiations and lead the political outreach where required. Promote regular and informed communication about the Climate Change program of the GEF with the GEF partnership and the UNFCCC Parties and Secretariat.
- Under the guidance of the MEA Lead and the GPU Director, contribute to effective coordination of GEF’s strategic engagement related to the Conventions and other international negotiations for the climate change focal area. This will include UNFCCC COP as well as other Conventions’ meetings as relevant, consultations on draft guidance preparations, and support to the CEO and GPU Director for their engagement.
- Contribute to the GEF replenishment and provide constructive inputs to the new programming and policy reform/directions.
- Support the development and delivery of GEF reports, Council documents, engagement plans, and other work products related to 1 above and as indicated by MEA Lead.
- Must hold a Master’s degree with at least eight years of relevant experience, or a Ph.D., with seven years of experience in the field of climate change, natural resources management/environmental sciences, economics, or other relevant discipline.
- Must demonstrate an excellent knowledge of global climate change financing architecture, and have at least some experience managing climate change projects and programs with national and international context.Must be able deal with a range of stakeholders, international organizations, development agencies, scientific and technical bodies, private sector entities, developing country counterparts, and NGOs would be an advantage.
- Must be able to think analytically, strategically, and programmatically.
- Must have excellent technical and working knowledge in various sectors.
- Must have a proven record of constructive and positive engagement in leading a program and policy dialogue with client Governments, donors and other stakeholders;
- Must have proven ability to work in teams (within and across), both as a team leader and team member
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, including ability to communicate complex issues to a wide range of audiences. Second language (French, Spanish or Portuguese) is highly desirable.
- Must be able to work independently on complex tasks on tight deadlines.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment in an international setting.
- Working knowledge of the operations of the Global Environment Facility and its Agencies is preferable.
Deliver Results for Clients
- Develops and implements solutions that show understanding of how clients and/or own work achieves results that are financially, environmentally and socially sustainable
- Shares new insights based on in-depth understanding of the client and recommends solutions for current and future needs of clients
- Holds self and team accountable for risk management and outcomes.
Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries
- Collaborates across organizational boundaries, internally and externally with a sense of mutuality and respect
- Consistently engages others in open dialogue, brings out any conflicting viewpoints and incorporates viewpoints into solutions, giving credit where credit is due. Leverages expertise of all team members to ensure successful outcomes
- Makes choices and sets priorities with a GEF corporate perspective in mind
Lead and Innovate
- Encourages and works with others to identify, incubate and implement relevant solutions
- Identifies opportunities in changing circumstances and energizes others to continuously improve, using intentional strategies to boost morale, team spirit, and productivity in context of the GEF’s values and mission
- Helps others to understand problems, client needs and the underlying context
Create, Apply and Share Knowledge
- Ensures systematic sharing of good practice and learning from lessons from across the GEF, clients and partners
- Is known across the GEF in their subject area and is sought out by the GEF colleagues to advise, peer review, or contribute to knowledge products of others
- Seeks mentoring opportunities with more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and mentors junior staff
- Builds networks across the GEF and as part of external professional groups/networks
Make Smart Decisions
- Applies critical thinking and seeks inputs and experience from others to recommend a course of action consistent with the GEF strategy
- Evaluates risk and anticipates the short and long-term implications of decisions
- Commits to a decision and takes action once a decision has been reached