The Department of Ecology is recruiting for a Municipal Stormwater Grant Project Specialist (Environmental Specialist 4) in the Water Quality Program. This position provides guidance to grant and loan recipients in order to help with planning, construction, and implementation of environmental protection projects and is located in our Central Regional Office in Union Gap, WA.
We are looking for applicants who want to combine communication and technical skills to work with our grant and loan partners to protect and restore waterbodies. By working with local governments to implement the agency’s grant/loan programs, evaluate applications, and manage financial assistance contracts, this position plays an instrumental role in preventing stormwater pollution and protecting ground and surface waters. Work in this role frequently intersects with state water quality regulations and permits, engineering specifications, and application of the latest science on pollution prevention, providing dynamic, team-oriented work environment.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve, and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism, and accountability.
The mission of the Water Quality Program is to protect and restore Washington’s waters to sustain healthy watersheds and communities. Our work ensures that state waters support beneficial uses including recreational and business activities, supplies for clean drinking water, and the protection of fish, shellfish, wildlife, and public health.
The Municipal Stormwater Grant Project Specialist provides financial assistance management for complicated, highly complex, and sometimes controversial stormwater projects. This includes:
- Developing, negotiating, implementing, and monitoring terms of agreement for complex stormwater improvement projects.
- Reviewing environmental stormwater grant applications for accuracy and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Coordinating with grant recipients at key stages of the projects.
- Gaining consensus with internal and external stakeholders and grantees.
- Tracking project performance against contract obligations, which includes visiting sites at critical stages to make sure they are following the grant agreements.
Please Note: This project position is funded until June 30, 2021.
- Respond to highly complex inquiries for technical assistance related to watershed plans, the Stormwater Management Manual for Eastern Washington, the Eastern Washington Municipal Stormwater Phase II Permit, and community outreach.
- Have in-depth knowledge of the Stormwater Management Manual for Eastern Washington, the Eastern Washington Municipal Stormwater Phase II Permit, and community outreach.
- Serve as a team member on the Stormwater Financial Assistance Program (SFAP) workgroup. The SFAP workgroup is a multidisciplinary team of stormwater project managers that share specialized stormwater-related regulatory and technical skills critical for the identification and execution of cost effective stormwater improvement projects.
This position will remain open until filled. The next screening will be on March 30, 2018. In order to be considered for the next screening, please submit an application on or before March 29, 2018. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
A Bachelor’s degree involving a major study in environmental, physical, or one of the natural sciences, environmental planning or other allied field AND five years of professional level experience in environmental analysis or control or environmental planning which includes one year equal to an Environmental Specialist 3 or above, or two years equal to an Environmental Specialist 2 or above.
Additional qualifying experience will substitute, year for year, for education.
A Master’s degree in one of the above fields AND three years of professional level experience in environmental analysis or control or environmental planning which includes one year equal to an Environmental Specialist 3 or above, or two years equal to an Environmental Specialist 2 or above.
A Ph.D. in one of the above fields AND two years of professional level experience in environmental analysis or control or environmental planning which includes one year equal to an Environmental Specialist 3 or above, or two years equal to an Environmental Specialist 2 or above.
Two years of experience as an Environmental Specialist 3.
The experience as an Environmental Specialist 3 can include a combination of the following: 1) investigating and / or resolving complaints involving science or technology content, 2) performing inspections, 3) drafting technical evaluations and reports, 4) develops plans for researching information used for technical projects, regulatory or policy development, 5) plan and facilitate public meetings and hearings, 6) project work requiring specialized knowledge of industry processes, pollutant sources or natural processes, 7) providing technical assistance for complex scientific content and/ or support for implementing scientific content programs, 8) conducting tests, analyzing and evaluating data, 9) using environmental databases to support technical projects, 10) developing scientific studies and resource management plans, 11) providing environmental technical and administrative assistance to grant/ contract/ loan recipients of environmental protection projects.
The experience as an Environmental Specialist 2 can include assisting in any of the following areas: 1) performing field surveys or studies, 2) responding to complaints involving scientific or technical content, 3) preparing public meetings and hearings, 4) assistance with routine inspections or investigations requiring specialized knowledge of industry processes, pollutant sources or natural processes, 5) responding to routine inquires or requests for technical assistance involving scientific content, 6) special projects that are scientific in nature, 7) conducting routine sampling and testing analysis, interprets data, writing reports 8) performing basic sampling data review, 9) maintaining an environmental data base to support technical projects, 10) providing routine environmental technical and administrative assistance to grant/ contract/ loan recipients of environmental protection projects.
- Experience communicating technical or scientific information with diverse audiences
- Demonstrated ability to review and understand complex technical documents
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex water quality related statutes, regulations, and permits
- Demonstrated ability to apply negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- GIS experience or certification
- Water quality sampling experience or training
- Project Management experience
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Please include the following documents as an attachment to your application:
Please complete the applicant profile when applying for this position. Or, you may paste the text of your resume within the profile’s resume text field.Please read the supplemental questions carefully and answer completely. Incomplete responses, including “please see resume” may disqualify you from further consideration.Department of Ecology employees, please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources at (360) 407-6186.If you are reading this announcement in print format, please visit www.careers.wa.gov to access the online recruitment system. Click on “Look for Jobs” and select Dept. of Ecology under the “Department” search list. Click “Apply Search.”
- A cover letter describing how your experience, skills and abilities meet the required qualifications of this position.
- A resume outlining your professional experience.