The World Business Council for Sustainable Development is a CEO-led organization of forward-thinking companies that galvanizes the global business community to create a sustainable future for business, society and the environment. Together with its members, the council applies its respected thought leadership and effective advocacy to generate constructive solutions and take shared action. Leveraging its strong relationships with stakeholders as the leading advocate for business, the council helps drive debate and policy change in favor of sustainable development solutions.
Background to WBCSD Water Program
The WBCSD Water program engages with member companies across industrial sectors and external partners to:
- Provide information and share knowledge about good practice and emerging trends to help companies identify opportunities, build capacity and improve business decision-making;
- Develop and implement collaborative solutions that unlock the biggest business and societal opportunities related to water;
- Amplify the business voice on water globally through policy recommendations that channel leading business thinking, partnerships and platforms.
With the overall ambition to develop and scale business solutions towards the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 6, sustainable water and sanitation for all, the program runs activities across three pillars as part of its 5-year strategy 2017-2022:
- To strengthen the business case for water as linked to business value, continuity and growth;
- To integrate water solutions as enabling factors to achieve large scale systems’ transformations across all five WBCSD programs: Food, Land and Water; Energy and Circular Economy; Cities and Mobility; Redefining Value and People;
- To lead business action and voice across regional hotspots while advancing the global agenda on water.
Overall purpose of position
From May 2018 onwards, the water program of WBCSD will be led out of the organization’s New-Delhi office with a foreseen team of 4 people. The aim is to grow the impact and reach of the program, mobilizing more business action and advancing advocacy in India and other water stressed geographies, while highlighting the positive role of business in contributing to water security and the importance of sound policy in global platforms. This position offers the holder a unique opportunity to develop and lead a new phase of the program, influencing its integration into overall organizational strategy.
Overall responsibilities include
- Engage cross industry members at senior leadership level to implement business solutions;
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships: foundations, donors, investors, international organizations, NGOs etc.
- Amplify progressive business voice through global policy processes and at international fora (e.g. World Water Week, UNFCCC COPs etc.);
- Lead on all water-related communications and knowledge products, as appropriate;
- Ensure the knowledge and network of the water program leverages and is leveraged by the other WBCSD programs (for the most part headquartered in Geneva) to maximize impact;
- Overall revenue generation, member relations, people management responsibilities.
Key competencies include
- Advanced university degree in political science, international relations, economics, environmental science, sustainability or related fields;
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in sustainability related fields, preferably on water;
- Cutting-edge knowledge on water and sustainable development from a business perspective;
- Proven ability to lead teams and working groups of senior professionals, create consensus and drive cooperation;
- High-caliber project management and coordination skills;
- Demonstrated attention to detail as much as strategic agility;
- Knowledge of and proven ability to work with government representatives, multilateral institutions and civil society organizations (in addition to the private sector);
- Excellent communication and influencing skills;
- Extensive network as much in India as globally at the intersection of business, sustainability and water;
- Fluency in English, knowledge of other languages an asset (notably Hindi, French, Spanish);
- Availability for regular travel within India and internationally.
This is a full-time position based in New-Delhi, India.
If the best available candidate does not have an Indian work permit, WBCSD will organize the Indian employment visa application. The employment visa is subject to approval by the Indian authorities.
Please also note that the WBCSD will only respond to candidates selected for the interview process.
The WBCSD offers a flexible working environment and the chance to join a team of professionals based in Geneva, New-York, New-Delhi, London and Beijing who share the motivation to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world.