WaterAid is determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation. Join us as PR Manager to play a crucial role in supporting our work which helps both save and change lives in the developing world.
Job purpose: To create impactful and innovative PR campaigns that help people engage with WaterAid’s work and reach our target audiences across traditional and online media channels. To expertly lead those working on PR ensuring they are proactive, creative, strategic and results driven.
- To lead the public relations function, line managing two senior media officers and task managing up to four SMOs working on PR related projects.
- To develop and implement PR strategies to achieve maximum measurable impact on WaterAid’s profile, specifically on WaterAid fundraising activities, advising the fundraising teams on media and wider communications issues and working to promote WaterAid in the local and national media
- Working closely and productively with colleagues working on WaterAid’s fundraising work
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists, broadcasters, online bloggers and commentators across the spectrum of on-line and offline media.
- To advise WaterAid staff up to the Chief Executive on communicating through the media, whether proactively or reactively, and on the risks of external messaging.
- To provide professional advice and support to colleagues in the UK and overseas involved in media relations work
- To write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house or external.
- To act as a media spokesperson for WaterAid as required, briefing journalists on and off the record and giving radio and TV interviews where necessary.
- To monitor and evaluate media coverage and make recommendations to the Global Head of Media
- Join the 24/7 on-call rota and be prepared for travel in the UK and overseas – usually around two or three week per year – as well as some work outside normal office hours, as necessary
- Undertake any other responsibilities, tasks or activities as reasonably required, including deputising for the Global Head of Media.
- Experience of leading, managing and motivating others and driving change.
- Considerable proven experience of working in an in-house media team or PR agency handling consumer, B2B, B2C or celebrity PR
- Proven experience of creating and delivering effective and innovative media campaigns
- Proven experience of liaising with journalists of all levels especially national and consumer media
- Experience of utilising digital and social media to deliver PR objectives
- Proven ability to prioritize workload and work under pressure.
- Proven ability to organise, coordinate and evaluate successful projects.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Degree-level education or equivalent work experience’
- Excellent command of written English to produce written media work of high quality
- Ability to forge effective working relationships within the team and with colleagues from across the organisation.
- Commitment to personal learning, development and improvement in pursuit of own objectives and those of the team and organisation.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
- Experience of international development issues and/or working in the voluntary sector in a communications role
- Ability to speak French and / or Portuguese