Responsibilities and tasks
- Technical leadership in implementing remote sensing and geospatial application services to assess and monitor ecological problems and provide information services to aid decision making for sustainable use of ecosystem services.
- Develop models for ecosystem services assessment and coordinate with ICIMOD initiatives for implementation.
- Lead and participate in interdisciplinary team(s) to provide input to geospatial data, applications, and technology for sustainable ecosystem management.
- Conduct research on analysing vulnerability of ecosystems in the HKH region in the context of climate change, and design geospatial tools to support decision making for sustainable ecosystem management.
- Develop analytical workflows for satellite image processing, including high resolution optical and SAR images including atmospheric correction, ortho rectification, calibration, and mosaicking and integration with ecosystem models and applications.
- Develop methodologies and workflows to extract information, including change detection, segmentation, and image classification. Plan and implement required validation of image classification results.
- Design and implement field data collection.
- Develop training curricula, training manuals, and other necessary training materials on the use of geospatial technology in the field for ecosystem services.
- Prepare documents (work plans, scientific reports, progress reports, and communication materials) on project activities and lead the publication of peer reviewed journal articles on relevant works.
- Post graduate degree in Geoinformatics or ecosystems-related subjects with at least five years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience using remote sensing and geospatial information for ecosystem research, use of optical and microwave remote sensing, and application development for ecosystem services assessment and decision support system.
- Experience in the development and design of computer programmes or scripts to process multi-source, multi-temporal, and geospatial datasets for ecosystem application.
- Experience in the manipulation of large remotely sensed data sets (e.g., airborne lidar, optical image data) to characterize forest structure or to monitor change over time.
- Significant experience in the publication of peer-reviewed articles in the field of remote sensing and ecosystem services.
- Experience with spatial data analysis and programming using Python, Java script, and R.
- Content knowledge: Advanced content knowledge of Earth observation and geospatial information applications in the context of forestry and ecosystem services/
- Report writing: Ability to contribute to the preparation and consolidation of reports and publications in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Management and coordination: Ability to work independently on analyzing and processing geospatial data, and to design and coordinate innovative research. Good understanding of project cycle including operational planning and monitoring.
- Networking and stakeholder management: Ability to establish networks with strategic institutions and effectively communicate with stakeholders.
- Result and Impact orientation: Ability to proactively generate concrete results.
- Teamwork and cooperation: Ability to work smoothly and effectively with others in intercultural teams to establish constructive ideas or solutions that meet the team objective.
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Ability to use new technologies, and pro-actively come up with new approaches and integrate them with the expertise of others.
- Developing others: Actively supports a continuous learning culture and gives constructive feedback.
- Impactful communication: Demonstrates active listening skills and is able to effectively present, explain, and discuss complex ideas.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 01 April 2018 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.