The ILS – Research Institute for Regional and Urban Development is an excellence-focused spatial research institute based in Dortmund with an office in Aachen. We examine causes and effects of new urbanization processes and concepts for a sustainable design of urban areas. Our work covers a large spectrum from theoretically based fundamental research to science-based advisory services for policy makers and planners.
The ILS research group „Built Environment” based in Aachen advertises – subject to funding commitment – a job vacancy for a Research Associate for cooperation in the third-party project “The FEW-meter – an integrative model to measure and improve urban agriculture, shifting it towards urban metabolism”. Commencement of the employment is June 1, 2018 with an average weekly working time of 27 hours and limited to three years until May 31, 2021. Limitation of employment according to the academic fixed-term contract (WissZeitVG). The project is held out in prospect by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research based on the cooperation between the Joint Programming Initiative SUGI (Sustainable Urbanization Global Initiative) of Urban Europe and the Belmont Forum which is supported by the European Commission. The ILS examines in cooperation with 12 project partners from Poland, Great Britain, France, United States and Germany the interaction of food production, energy and water consumption (Food-Water-Energy-Nexus) in the context of globally growing urban agriculture. The objective of this internationally comparing project perspective is the development of a comprehensive system which enables to comprehend the contribution of existing urban agriculture forms to sustainable urban development. The subproject conducted by ILS examines governance forms and framework conditions having influence on resource flows in terms of food, water and energy.
- Literature, document and data analysis in different national contexts and on different spatial levels
- Evaluation of case study data
- Development of scenarios for advancement and optimization of the Food-Water-Energy-Nexus
- Presentations of interim and final results in workshops as well as publications
- Documentation of results
- Conception and implementation of workshops, public relations and networking activities
- Completed excellent university degree in the field of geography, sociology, urban and regional planning, spatial planning
- Very good professional knowledge in the field of governance research and very good methodological knowledge – for instance in the range of quantitative and qualitative social research
- Communication skills and capability of scientific writing and networked thinking, pleasure in interdisciplinary work
- Very good English language skills and good German language skills both at least at B2 level
- Team spirit, own initiative, creativity, commitment and capability to work independently
- Severely handicapped candidates will be preferred in case of equal qualification. Applications of women are explicitly welcome.
Application documents shall include a motivation letter, CV, copies of certificates, references or names of two reference persons.
For further information please contact:
Dipl.Ing. Architect Runrid Fox-Kämper, Tel. +49-241-409945-11, email: [email protected]
Vacancy reference FG2/2018/2