The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education is a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education, (AWE), a coalition of 23 outdoor education centers. These 23 centers, which are connected by regional trails and waterways, work together to encourage the public to protect the Delaware River watershed‐‐-the land area, creeks and streams that feed into the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers. The Delaware River watershed provides clean drinking water for more than 15 million people and important habitat for many species. The Alliance seeks to hire 46 young people (two at each center), for a 12-week summer fellowship.
Founded in 1965, the Schuylkill Center is one of the first urban environmental education centers in the country, with 340 acres of fields, forests, ponds, and streams in northwest Philadelphia. The Schuylkill Center’s mission is to inspire meaningful connections between people and nature. We do this through our:
- After-school program
- Summer camps for ages 3-15
- Nature preschool and kindergarten classes
- Land stewardship events and programs
- Environmental art gallery and Artist in Residency program
- Public programs and festivals
- School programs both on- and off-site
The Schuylkill Center is seeking two fellows who will serve as ambassadors for the Center and the Delaware River watershed.Throughout the twelve weeks of service, the Watershed Fellows will work on projects that seek to further the goals of the Center’s environmental education programs and/or land stewardship efforts.
The Schuylkill Center is located at 8480 Hagy’s Mill Road Philadelphia PA 19128. However, the Watershed Fellow may spend much of his/her time traveling to various locations throughout the city.
- Engage target communities in the Philadelphia area through stewardship, education, recreation, and civic engagement
- Required to participate in a 3-day supportive watershed stewardship training at Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June 13-15). Transportation provided. http://www.peec.org/
- Fellows will be expected to participate in weekly webinars and check-ins.
- Fellows will attend two in-person regional meetings.
- Complete a required Capstone project to be presented at the end of season Watershed Fellowship Summit on August 17.
- Serve as a representative for the Schuylkill Center and the Alliance for Watershed Education.
- Assist with the Center’s environmental education programs and/or land stewardship efforts.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be 18 by June 1.
- Must be people oriented, have a team-focused attitude, and the ability to professionally represent the Schuylkill Center and the Alliance for Watershed Education network to the public.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity also necessary.
- A positive attitude and good sense of humor, as well as comfort working independently as a leader and part of a team, when needed.
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment and juggle multiple, changing priorities; strong time and project management skills needed. Must be self-motivated and willing to work in a flexible, non-structured environment.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
- Applicants from Northwest Philadelphia are strongly encouraged to apply
- June 4, 2018: Fellow start date at the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
- June 13 – 15: Required Watershed Stewardship Training (overnight) at Pocono Environmental Education Center. (Food, transportation and accommodations provided.)
- August 17: Watershed Fellowship Summit at John Heinz NWR, Philadelphia.
- August 24: Last day of Fellowship
This position pays $13/hr. Fellows will serve 35-40 hrs per week for 12 weeks.
How to apply
Please send a letter expressing your interest and two references to:
Manager of Public Programs
The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
8480 Hagy’s Mill Road Philadelphia PA 19128
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 15, 2018
We value a racially, ethnically, and culturally diverse work community and we strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. E.O.E.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $13.00 /hour