Senior WASH Officer
The Senior WASH Officer will be based in Cox¿s Bazar, responsible for coordination and technical strategy and standard setting of the WASH sector responses in Cox¿s Bazar, Bangladesh, including the responses of UNHCR and partners. The incumbent will report to the Senior Field/Technical Coordinator at Cox¿s Bazar.
– WASH services provided to refugee by UNHCR are based on UNHCR country and /or internationally recognised and most up-to date standards and policies.
– Sound technical support and advice are provided to country operation in the field of WASH.
– Viable monitoring and evaluation system are in place for data collection, analysis and interpretation to serve as evidence base for planning and interventions.
– UNHCR WASH programmes are implemented in coordinated approach in line with overall strategy.
– Gaps and overlaps in UNHCR funded WASH programmes and unmet needs are addressed, and the activities are oriented to address priority WASH issues. S/he will manage and provide support to the WASH Unit at Cox¿s (approx. 10 ¿ 20 staff).
– Ensure that national and/or internationally accepted and relevant standards and policies are applied and adapted in close coordination with the host country and relevant UN agencies and NGO partners.
– Oversee the UNHCR coordination and technical response strategy setting within the WASH sector response at all operational locations in the Bangladesh response, and function as the country level UNHCR WASH sector (co-)lead.
– (Co-) chair and facilitate local level WASH coordination.
– Provide technical advice and guidance for WASH emergency interventions at all operational locations.
– Provide support to sound project management by helping during design, BOQ, tender and contract awarding process as well as conducting joint technical field visits with partners and contractors.
– Provide timely technical support in the management and implementation of UNHCR WASH program.
– Review modelling, layout and profiles of designed system-reservoirs, transmission lines, pumping systems.
– Review calculations and specification of materials, labour and equipment for civil, mechanical and electric systems as well as hydrogeological and geophysical studies.
– Participate in the elaboration of the tender documents for the selection of construction companies.
– Participate in evaluating technical proposals against financial offers.
– Ensure adequate reporting, timely updates and briefings to donor and management.
– Regularly exchange information and best practices with relevant stakeholders, including key sectors of UNHCR i.e. Protection, Public Health, Program, Basic assistance, Shelter, Supply, etc.
– Provide technical inputs in developing ad hoc guidelines/framework/tools for monitoring WASH.
– Participate within the sector to the elaboration of Sector Strategy, SOP, guidelines, and concept notes.
– Promote and support training capacity building of partners and beneficiaries.
– Support efforts to strengthen the capacity of the national authorities and civil society.