At the Inter-American Development Bank, we are devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we have been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives. The Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA), as a part of the Infrastructure and Energy Sector (INE), provides technical support to member countries on conceptualization, preparation and execution of programs and projects in the water and sanitation sector. Specifically, WSA works in activities related to potable water, sanitation, urban drainage, water resources and solid waste. Following the Bank strategies, INE/WSA seeks to assist countries in their efforts to ensure universal access to these services in a sustainable manner and with high quality in their provision. INE / WSA seeks to incorporate an Intern to provide support to the Specialists in the preparation and execution of different activities, projects, strategies and studies developed by the Division.
The purpose of the Internship program is to provide an opportunity for university students to learn about the operations of the IDB, and to acquire work experience at the professional level through on-the-job training during their summer vacation before returning to their studies. Students will support specialist of the Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA) in the development of research studies, activities related to knowledge, dissemination and communication both at the regional level and at the country level.
The selected candidate will:
- Support the INE / WSA specialists in the collection of information, construction and review of databases that serve as inputs for the financial and institutional analyses on projects/entities in the water and sanitation sector.
- Support the INE / WSA specialists in the analysis of financial statements, financial modeling, and policy advice to promote the financial recovery and strengthen the financial performance of water service utilities.
- Support the INE / WSA Specialists in the preparation and execution of Technical Cooperation to obtain lessons learned and good practices, and disseminate them among countries, especially those related to public policies.
- Support the INE / WSA Specialists in the preparation of guides, tools, technical notes and sectoral strategies.
- Support the INE / WSA Specialists in the preparation, execution and closing of investment grants and investment loans, providing inputs for the preparation of the documents required by the Bank.
- Other activities as agreed with the internship supervisor.
Junior Internship Program’s restrictions
- Candidates with more than 3 applications will be automatically disqualified.
- A citizen of one of the Bank’s member countries.
- Graduation date cannot be prior to August 15th of 2018.
- Has not reached age 25 by January 1st, of 2018 (Age requirement under the Diversity Initiative is 27).
- Candidates hired in the past or currently working under any employment program of the IDB do not qualify.
- An undergraduate student who is currently on the third year or above of his/her bachelor’s degree or equivalent program, in Finance, Business Administration, Economics or a related field, in an accredited university.
- Proficient in at least one of the official languages of the Bank (English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French), preferably with a working knowledge of a second one.
- Team player, innovative and creative, client-oriented, results-driven, with strong communication skills.
- Technical skills: Ability to analyze financial statements, financial indicators and other financial information. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
Characteristics of the internship
- Contract duration: Two months. June 16th, 2018 to August 15th, 2018.
- Place(s) of work: IDB Headquarters in Washington DC, U.S.A.
- Responsible person: Financial and Institutional Specialists.
Payment and Conditions: Interns receive a stipend of an amount determined annually.
Selected candidates are responsible for the costs associated with their relocation to/from the Bank’s Headquarters in Washington, DC, as well as for providing proof of medical coverage for the duration of the internship.
Visa and Work Permit: The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may submit a visa request to the applicable immigration authorities; however, the granting of the visa is at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of the candidate to obtain the necessary visa or work permits required by the authorities of the country(ies) in which the services will be rendered to the Bank. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa or work permit to render services to the Bank the contractual offer will be rescinded
Consanguinity and Affinity: Pursuant to applicable Bank regulations, candidates with relatives (including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity, including spouse) working for the Bank or the IDB Invest as staff members or Complementary Workforce, will not be eligible to provide services for the Bank.
Diversity: The Bank is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities to all candidates. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.