• A criminal background check is required.
• An employee new to the Judicial Branch will serve a one-year probationary period.
• Experienced attorneys as well as new graduates will be considered.
• Travel of 5% may be required.
• We are recruiting for two Water Masters.
POSITION DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working under the direction of Chief Water Judge Russ McElyea, the successful candidate will perform highly responsible legal and technical work in adjudicating water rights in specific basins in Montana. Duties include legal research and writing; case management; conducting status, scheduling, settlement conferences, and hearings; and other assigned tasks. The ability to work well with a variety of individuals including other attorneys, water users, and natural resources staff is essential.
A full position description and application are available from Human Resources at [email protected]
Applicants must have a JD, be admitted to practice law in Montana; have excellent legal research, writing, case management, and communication skills; and have satisfactory word processing skills. Experience or education in water use, water rights, water law, or hydrology is preferred. Experienced attorneys as well as new graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Please describe your experience in researching, reviewing and interpreting laws, rules, judicial decisions, and legal writing.
- Please describe your experience with water rights, water use, Montana water law, and Montana’s statewide water right adjudication effort.
- Please describe your case management and organizational skills.
- Please describe your knowledge and experience with personal computers and software programs relating to word processing, databases, spreadsheets, electronic legal research, and describe your typing skills.
- Please describe the Water Court’s jurisdiction.
- Please attach a sample of your legal writing, this should be 10 pages in length.
Please apply on line at [email protected] or forward a cover letter, resume, references, a writing sample and answers to the attached supplement questions to the following address: Montana Supreme Court, Court Administrator’s Office HR, P.O. Box 203005, Helena, Montana 59620, or fax to (406) 841-2955 or email to [email protected] The Judicial Branch is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants may obtain a copy of the Montana Judicial Branch’s EEOP Utilization Report by make their request to the Judicial Branch Human Resources office.
Benefits Package Eligibility: Health Insurance, Paid Leave & Holidays, Retirement Plan
Employee Status: Regular
Agency: Judicial Branch
Union: 000 – None
Bargaining Unit: 000 – None
Montana State Government does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, or sexual orientation), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, creed, political affiliation, veteran status, military service, retaliation, or any other factor not related to the merit and qualifications of an employee or applicant.