California Coastkeeper Alliance (CCKA) unites local Waterkeeper organizations to advocate for swimmable, fishable, and drinkable waters throughout California. CCKA and Waterkeepers work together to develop, implement, and defend water and ocean policies for the benefit of California’s communities and ecosystems. CCKA is a proud member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international network of water advocates with more than 290 organizations on 6 continents.
California Coastkeeper Alliance seeks a dynamic policy advocate with Sacramento experience to represent Waterkeepers in legislative and agency forums. The Policy Analyst will work with the Policy Director to track, analyze, and comment on legislation, policies, permits, regulations, and funding measures of importance to locally-based Waterkeepers. This will include work to develop strategies and reforms to address key threats to California coastal areas, bays, and rivers, such as agricultural and stormwater runoff, trash pollution, ocean desalination facilities, harms associated with changing ocean and inland waterway conditions, wasteful water use, and protecting instream flows from overpumping and diversions. The Policy Analyst will primarily operate out of a new Sacramento office, working remotely and traveling to San Francisco to connect with the CCKA team. The Policy Analyst should be a self-starter, who is productive working remotely and juggling numerous projects and issues.
- Track, analyze, and develop written comments on permits, policies, monitoring plans, and other technical documents related to ocean health, water quality, and water supply.
- Draft and present oral testimony, and otherwise represent CCKA positions at public meetings, hearings, and other forums, including participation on technical committees and in stakeholder groups.
- Assist with the implementation of campaigns to advance organizational priorities before the California Legislature, State Water Resources Control Board, Ocean Protection Council, and other entities.
- Create and maintain relationships with legislative staff, agency staff, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders.
- Provide grant management support, including preparing proposals and reports.
- Passion for California’s ocean, coast, bays, and rivers.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a preference for degrees in hydrology, geological sciences, or biological sciences. Advanced degree in a relevant discipline is a plus.
- 1-3 years of full-time experience in the legislative, policy, or advocacy field is mandatory.
- Broad understanding of science, regulatory, and policy issues relating to water and coastal resources.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with a commitment to accuracy and rigor.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills, including meeting facilitation.
- Ability to prioritize and efficiently execute multiple tasks, perform undirected work with meticulous attention to detail, meet deadlines, and work under pressure on multiple projects.
- Scientific and technical expertise, including expertise in hydrology issues, environmental modeling, water quality analysis, monitoring protocols, and other facets of technical environmental work, is preferred.
- Some travel required between Sacramento and San Francisco, and within California.
CCKA is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce. This is a full time salaried position, with health, dental, and vacation benefits. Salary range is $50-60,000 annually, based on experience. The position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area-Sacramento corridor, with a strong preference for Sacramento-based candidates.
Please email a resume, cover letter and short writing sample (less than 10 pages) to *protected email* with the subject line: “Analyst Application – (last name, first name).” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.