Position title: Director, Nature Trust Alliance GbR
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
Reports to: Executive Directors of partner Conservation Trust Funds (CNF, PONT, Blue Action)
Start Date: June 1, 2018
Hours: Full time
Nature Trust Alliance is a unique collaboration between three of Europe’s leading conservation trust funds: the Caucasus Nature Fund (CNF), Prespa Ohrid Nature Trust (PONT) and the Blue Action Fund. Established in 2016, NTA provides back office support for our German-registered trust fund partners. With a commitment to conservation, creativity, and efficiency We provide operational support services (financial and investment management, administration, reporting, budgeting, IT services, and communications, etc.), so the funds can focus on their core missions of providing innovative and sustainable financing mechanisms for nature conservation.
The NTA-partner conservation trust funds have combined investment assets of over EUR 100 million, and work with governments, NGO’s and private sector partners to ensure improved capacity for nature protection and results on the ground.
NTA is seeking an organized director to lead the shared services for our partners. This post offers the opportunity to be responsible for the overall management of a small and dynamic organization – including the development of effective and cost efficient procedures for NTA and the three conservation trust funds.
In addition to ensuring efficient coordination of day-to-day office operations, the NTA Director is responsible for the line management of 3-4 staff and the close liaison with the Executive Directors of the three conservation trust funds.
The role will involve organizational management and administration while processes and procedures are finalized; this position will be responsible also for leading a culture of continuous improvement. The right candidate will be highly organized, with a proven track record in staff management, financial management (including audits) and general office or project management. Knowledge on investments is an added advantage. As the head offices of the three conservation trust funds are based in other locations, the NTA Director must be able to work independently, though the NTA Director will be remotely managed by one of the CTF Executive Directors.
Staff management & liaison
- Line manage staff including delegation of tasks, organization of internal meetings, annual performance talks, staff development, etc.
- Liaise regularly with the Executive Directors of the respective conservation trust funds to report on progress made in consolidating NTA and coordinate and prioritize services to the three conservation trust funds based on demand.
- Ensure excellent relationship with service providers based in Germany such as banks, legal advisors, auditors, bookkeepers, investment managers, etc.
- Represent NTA as an organisation.
- Develop effective and cost efficient procedures and processes for the core services.
- Ensure, and monitor the efficiency of the shared services concept. Develop mechanism to track/demonstrate shared service approach has an added value compared to services being sourced by the individual conservation trust fund/s.
- Ensure sound budgeting, financial management, bookkeeping and auditing of the partner funds.
- Ensure effective financial reporting to multiple donors.
- Ensure data filing, sharing and protection of the partner funds.
- Ensure proper and timely communication and reporting to the German foundation authorities where the partner funds are registered.
- Participate in the investment committee meetings of the partners and report back to the Executive Directors on investment issues and performance.
- Ensure lessons learned and good practices/procedures in regards to the shared services concept are documented and shared.
- At least 5 years of experience as a Director/Manager in setting-up and implementation of sound financial management procedures, realizing effective and efficient office/project management systems and line management of staff.
- Educational background in financial management or business administration. Knowledgeable in investment of assets and data management.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and German with preference for a native German speaker.
- Adaptive management approach, reacting professional and timely to new upcoming issues or demands.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage a varied workload.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and provide leadership to a diverse group of people across various cultures.
- Experience working with international organizations or multi-cultural teams is an asset.
- Experience or affinity with working in development cooperation, conservation and/or the environmental sector is an asset.
Please send cover letter and CV in English by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9 April 2018. In the cover letter please include your salary expectations and at least two references (which will only be contacted during the final stage of the application process).
Due to the large number of applications received for each of our positions, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.