About Operational Services:
Operational Services (OS) impacts the success of every area of SCE. It is the safety, sustainability, and compliance steward of SCE. OS helps SCE sustain a safe, reliable, affordable, and clean energy grid. OS strives to provide efficient and effective strategies and service by partnering with numerous internal and external stakeholders. OS relies on the functional knowledge and skills of its employees to ensure that SCE is doing the best to meet and exceed every safety, environmental, and compliance standard.
About Water Quality Group:
The Water Quality group within the Environmental Services Department (ESD) is embarking on an exciting time in managing regulatory compliance and meeting the State’s Clean Energy Initiatives supporting interconnection with renewable energy sources, enabling customers with local energy choices, and improving reliability of our electrical grid. The group is passionate about protecting water quality and water/wetlands resources, and strives to develop innovative approaches in applying regulatory compliance strategies.
The successful candidate will be a lead subject matter expert and permitting strategy developer in the Environmental Services Department (ESD) supporting and collaborating with multiple Organizational Units in Generation, Transmission & Distribution (T&D) major projects, Corporate Real Estate Facilities, and Operations & Maintenance (O&M) programs in Wetlands and Waters Clean Water Act 401/WDR/404 and CDFW 1600 permitting compliance. The Senior Wetlands and Waters Regulatory Specialist will represent the company with direct agency coordination with federal, state and local environmental regulatory agencies including the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Regional Water Quality Control Boards and/or State Water Resources Control Board and the California Department of Fish & Wildlife (CDFW) at local and Region/State office levels.
- Develop and implement company-wide Corporate Standard with requirements and guidelines for compliance and protection of waters and wetlands.
- Establish internal procedures and strategies for waters permitting, develop creative solutions to operational challenges, and assess compliance throughout the service territory.
- Manage external consultants performing desktop review, field support (i.e. jurisdictional delineations), and permitting deliverables including development of consultant guidelines, procedures, and templates to maximize efficiency and ensure quality of work.
- Lead water permitting strategies related to dredge and fill activities, including programmatic measures/agreements.
- Analyze and interpret regulatory changes in the waters and wetlands space for potential impacts and guidance to SCE Organizational Units.
- Represent SCE and lead agency negotiations and coordination for external engagement efforts supported by ESD, project and programmatic permitting, and/or enforcement actions.
- Develop and lead training sessions, collaborate with multi-disciplinary stakeholders, benchmark with other utilities and/or industries, provide compliance oversight, conduct site assessments, attend job walks, support on-call emergency support on a rotating basis throughout the year.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Hydrogeology, Natural Sciences, or a related field.
- Five years of experience performing complex environmental or regulatory analyses, consulting, permitting, and/or compliance implementation.
- Three years of experience in environmental compliance and permitting work related to waters.
- Strong agency relationships and ability to interface effectively with environmental groups and agencies.
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Sciences or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in regulatory permitting in California (including: USACE, RWQCB, and CDFW)
- Experienced jurisdictional water and wetland delineator (i.e., minimum 40-hr Wetland Delineation course).
- GIS data and tools proficiency.
- Must demonstrate effective resource and project planning, critical decision making, results delivery, teamwork, strong work ethic, influencing and negotiation skills, leadership, interpersonal skills, communication, and the ability to manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Strong commitment to safety values and safe work practices.
- This position may require additional on-call support and after hours duty.
- Relocation may be available for qualified candidates.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.