ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a network of 1,500+ cities, towns and regions world-wide that are dedicated to sustainable development. It has 15 offices servicing its members while developing innovative projects and events and is an international not-for-profit association and network perceived as the international representative of cities for sustainability. The European Secretariat is based in Freiburg, Germany.
The European Secretariat of ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability seeks to fill the position of an Officer Communication within its Communications and Member Relations team.
The Communications and Member Relations team coordinates all necessary promotion, marketing and communication activities to shape ICLEI’s as well as projects’ visibility to the outside world. This includes organising and supporting events from the initial idea to the final realisation and reporting, as well as representing ICLEI through all modern communication and information channels. The Communications and Member Relations team is also the portal for ICLEI’s membership relations.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and monitor project communications strategies and plans in line with the relevant project work plans;
- Develop, produce and disseminate effective communication products, including project websites (with a web developer), social media, newsletters, video scripts and marketing materials;
- Maintain and further develop media relations for projects as well as for ICLEI;
- Create and edit copy for websites, brochures, reports, press releases and other publications;
- Participate in project coordination meetings with other partners at locations around Europe;
- Contribute to preparing and managing events, including partner meetings, stakeholder workshops, webinars and online meetings;
- Support the management of external consultants, such as designers;
- Cooperate for the aforementioned tasks with external project partners, cities and the funder;
- Take over representative functions (presentations, project/other meetings and events);
- Assist in project management tasks in coordination with the project coordinator and/or the Director of the Communications and Member Relations team;
- Contribute to researching funding opportunities (tenders / calls for proposals) and support the preparation of new funding proposals, concept briefs and project reports;
- Deal with general enquiries relating to information and communication activities within the ICLEI European Secretariat;
- Any other duties that might be required consistent with the range and nature of responsibilities as a member of the Communications and Member Relations team.
Skills and qualifications:
- Academic degree in: communications, political sciences, sustainability or marketing;
- At least two years experience in a communication role;
- Full fluency in English (oral and written), further languages welcome;
- Good organisational skills, with ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously to a high standard; prioritising multiple tasks and meeting deadlines in an independent manner;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to write in a range of styles, precision and ability to be self-organised within a complex team;
- Fully computer-literate with advanced knowledge of MS Office, web editing software (Typo3, Drupal or other CMS), Adobe package (mainly InDesign and Premiere) and desktop publishing;
- Confident manner when acting externally;
- A quick learner and team player with a positive attitude is ideally suited to this position;
- Knowledge of and experience with EU funding programmes is desirable;
- Knowledge of and experience in the field of sustainable development is desirable.
- Limited contract duration of 12 months (extension possible)
- 80-100% contract with a gross salary according to Project Officer in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: EUR 40.800 – 43.200 per annum for 100%)
- Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany
- Workings hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum
- Working language: English
- Readiness for frequent travel
- Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit.
Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered. Deadline for application: 16 March 2018 Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to: Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival; therefore application as soon as possible is advisable.