Junior Officer (Climate Data)
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions in 108 countries committed to building a sustainable future. By helping the ICLEI Network to become sustainable, low-carbon, ecomobile, resilient, biodiverse, resource-efficient, healthy and happy, with a green economy and smart infrastructure, we impact over 25% of the global urban population.
ICLEI ́s Low Carbon City Agenda is implemented by all ICLEI Offices. It focuses on 4 main action areas: (i) climate advocacy, (ii) global processes and platforms, (iii) technical assistance and (iv) networking and peer exchange. The Bonn Center for Local Climate Action and Reporting (carbonn® Center) of ICLEI engages in this context as:
- Global coordinator of ICLEI’s Low Carbon City Agenda;
- Global coordinator of ICLEI’s GreenClimateCities program, the process and methodology used in the Low Carbon City Agenda to guide local climate action;
- Focal point of the Local Government and Municipal Authorities (LGMA) constituency at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Operator of the carbonn Climate Registry (cCR), the global reporting platform for local and regional governments tackling climate change; and
- Coordinator and partner of a range of international climate / energy projects and initiatives.
We work in a multicultural, international environment with colleagues and partners around the globe.
We seek a highly motivated, pro-active and experienced candidate for the position of:
Junior Officer, Climate Data
The successful candidate will be a part of the ICLEI World Secretariat team based in Bonn, Germany.
- Support local and regional governments with their climate mitigation and adaptation reporting on the carbonn Climate Registry (cCR), including those committed to the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy (GCoM), and working in close cooperation with all ICLEI Offices around the globe.
- Support data completeness and quality checks to ensure quality data is available for data aggregation and data analysis services.
- Contribute to enhanced understanding of “quality reporting” of cCR users by sharing good practice and engaging in capacity building activities such as webinars and training workshops.
- Assist the further thematic development of the cCR and associated services to users, including the further development of the integrated MRV (Measuring, Reporting, Verification) process to assist multi-level governance discussions.
- Support coordination of the multi-partner environment that is served by the cCR, including a range of projects and global initiatives.
- Support the development and promotion of the Low Carbon City Agenda and the execution of small projects / components of larger projects.
- Actively support project acquisition and the further development of ICLEI’s international climate project portfolio.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience, including relevant internships, working with energy and/or climate data and understanding the role of local and regional governments in tackling climate change.
- Experience working with non-for-profit and/or membership organizations is highly desirable.
- University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject such as in Engineering, Environmental Science, or similar. A relevant Master ́s or PhD degree is an asset.
- Good knowledge of databases, MS Access 2010 and MS Excel 2010.
- Strong skills in research, analytical thinking, reporting, and planning.
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; proficiency in other languages is an asset.
The successful candidate:
- is dedicated to the team focus in driving innovative, low carbon, resilient, resource- efficient, future-oriented urban infrastructure solutions,
- shows enthusiasm for urban low emission development, and is particularly interested in data, quality of data and management of data and knowledge,
- is pro-active with an organized working method,
- shows excellence in communicating ICLEI’s message to public policy makers, municipal technical staff, business partners, potential donors and the broader public,
- is highly proficient in oral and written English;
- is open to learn using office and presentation software, as well as web content management.
Terms and conditions:
- The position is available from 01 April 2018 at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
- The contract will have a limited duration for 2 years, with the possibility of extension.
- ICLEI is offering an annual salary of 29,000 - 33,400 EUR before tax and social insurance fees, with the final salary to be determined based on the chosen applicant’s skills and experience.
- Workings hours: 40/week
- 30 days of paid leave per year
- Working language: English
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
- International travel will be required. Communication with partners around the world may require work outside of normal office hours.
- The title is “Junior Officer”.
- The Junior Officer reports to the Director of the carbonn Center.
By email to . Please include “Junior Officer, Climate Data” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- Your recent CV (3 pages at most)
- Indication of possible start date
- Indication of citizenship (and if non-EU, whether you are holder of a work permit for
Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered.
In order to support the evaluation via interview, shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content prior to the interview.
Kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable.
The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
Application Deadline: 5 April 2018
ICLEI World Secretariat Kaiser-Friedrich-Strasse 7 53113 Bonn
Phone: +49-228 / 97 62 99 00 Fax: +49-228 / 97 62 99 01