Land-use planning efforts are moving away from sectoral approaches and are embracing the more integrated, holistic approach of a landscape as a series of interdependent natural and human systems. With this transition, definitions are needed to determine what a sustainable landscape approach is and what it is not.
The Sustainable Landscapes Fellow will be required to develop and lead CI’s global sustainable landscapes approach. S/he will cement CI as a leader in the development of sustainable landscapes, mainstream and standardize implementation through a “One CI” approach, and socialize it externally with partners and donors.
The Fellow should:
- Have 5-7 years of professional experience in agriculture, sustainable development, sustainable finance, large scale conservation, etc. Private sector experience preferred.
- Have strong analytical skills.
- Have the ability to multi-task, work across cultures, geographies, and academic disciplines to deliver on outcomes. Must be able to make decisions with incomplete information.
- Be able to lead an internal Task Force to arrive at common CI positions following the “One CI” approach.
- Possess strong communications skills – the ability to take complex scientific and financial information and turn it into simple yet powerful messages for a wide audience.
- Have deep expertise in integrated landscape approaches/models and conservation finance. Unique skills include the ability to distill learnings from our existing 4+ years of work in sustainable landscapes and turn it into a concrete product that can be replicated and expanded upon through CI’s networks.
Travel associated with the position:
- Field visits to Europe/ Africa / Asia
- Fellowship cohort events, including CI training events and CI Board meetings
- Estimated 35% travel
At the successful completion of the 2-year Fellowship, the Fellow will have:
- Developed CI’s best-in-class approach to sustainable landscapes
- Built internal capacity to implement Sustainable Landscapes (including hosting south-south capacity building events, webinars, in-person trainings etc.)
- Led proposal development and submission to Green Climate Fund