Project Officer (WASH)
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Junior (0-4 Years)
Bachelor's (Or Equivalent)
Please note: this job post has expired! To the best of our knowledge, this job is no longer available and this page remains here for archival purposes only.
- In collaboration with other members of the WASH team and support staff, participate in the design of programme activities (including proposal development) with clear timelines and deliverables
- Collect, record and qualitative and quantitative data and facilitate community consultation to feedback the result of assessments;
- Conduct hygiene coverage, needs & gaps
- Work closely with the water supply and sanitation team to mobilize the refugee community in the design, implementation and monitoring of WASH facilities and Hygiene promotion services.
- Coordinate the NRC’s Hygiene promotion activities in the refugee settlements and host communities.
- Ensure smooth and quality implementation of hygiene promotion activities e.g community mobilization and sensitization, hand washing facilities and bath shelters, institutional latrine construction/rehabilitation, solid waste management, drainage improvements, vector control services, and NFI kits distribution.
- Coordinate with health Implementing Partners and collect regular epidemiological data that help to take appropriate action.
- Work with other team members, contribute in the design, dissemination and monitoring of culturally appropriate IEC strategy and related activities;
- Support the identification, training and mobilisation of refugee based structures such as Water user groups/Water Management Committees and enable them to effectively undertake confidently refugee engagement processes, hygiene promotion outreach and mobilisation activities in refugee settlements and host communities.
- Ensure that the WASH/Water user committees and Hygiene promoters monitor the functionalization and utilization of WASH facilities and mobilize refugees in taking action to improve high risk hygiene practices. Work with District Health Officers/staff on information dissemination related to good hygiene practices.
- Take initiatives to facilitate and Implement hygiene for specific target groups with particular focus on WASH in Schools (WinS) and Persons with Special Need (PSN).
- Ensure integration of hygiene promotion activities with water supply (distribution and consumption) monitoring e.g Household water users’ surveys, water quality monitoring with regular feedback, reporting, and precautionary measures taken to ensure supply of treated/safe water at all times.
- Liaise with WASH Officer – Water Supply and Sanitation (Engineer) to ensure that sanitation facilities designs are in line with the agreed standards. Support and supervise the contractor.
- Ensure that all planning processes and bill of quantities are in line with budget
- Recruit, train, and manage national and incentive workers
- Contribute in developing program activities, work plans, procurement plans and guide the implementation of WASH in an integrated approach
- With supervision, collect and report community level programme information
- Degree of Public Health or any other related field
- A minimum of 4 years Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH/Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion or Public Health Promotion
- Experience in a humanitarian (emergency) and development WASH programme preferably with an INGO
- Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential
- Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
- Other subjects
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
Duty Station: Palorinya Moyo
Salary: As per Nrc Salary Structure
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected