Co-Director (Climate Change Campaigns)
We’re looking for an experienced and passionate campaigner to lead and shape our climate campaigns. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of building a mass movement to challenge the fossil fuel industry and stand in solidarity with front-line communities.
The fossil fuel industry is unequivocally driving us toward global climate crisis: we will not keep dangerous climate change at bay without halting fossil fuel extraction. People & Planet is part of the global Fossil Free divestment movement with our world leading Fossil Free Universities and new Divest Barclays campaigns.
People & Planet particularly encourages applications from people from ethnic minority backgrounds, trans people, queer people, people with disabilities, people with caring responsibilities, and other groups typically under-represented in campaigning organisations. We are committed to make reasonable adjustments to enable any candidate to show their suitability for a role within People & Planet.
We’re a small, friendly team who work creatively and flexibly together to achieve our goals of empowering students to campaign for social and environmental justice. Unlike most organisations, People & Planet does not have a CEO or Director. The management team runs the organisation collaboratively with oversight from our trustee board, which is made up of a majority of elected students.
You will collaborate with the Campaigns & Research Co-Director to develop, manage and deliver People & Planet’s Fossil Free and Divest Barclays and other climate justice campaigns programmes, including working alongside frontline communities across the world. You will also support work across the organisation as part of the Campaigns & Movement Building team, including working with the Fossil Free Campaign Co-ordinator to provide support to our 60+ student grassroots groups. As a Co-Director of People & Planet you will be involved in collaboratively steering the organisation's strategy, setting the organisational budget and a range of other areas relating to organisational management as well as peer managing a paid internship member of the team and another Co-Director after three months in post.
1. As part of the Climate Campaigns Team
1. Joint responsibility for developing and setting strategy for the climate justice campaigns programme including Fossil Free and Divest Barclays, in consultation with students and colleagues.
2. Generate media coverage, reactively and proactively, and support students to gain media attention, across traditional and social media.
3. Advocacy and lobbying (e.g. face to face meetings with campaign targets and supporting students to participate in lobbying).
4. Ensuring participation of a diverse range of students in the development, implementation and evaluation of campaigns.
5. Ensuring the campaigns programmes work in solidarity alongside front-line and or impacted communities affected by climate change and fossil fuel extraction and combustion where appropriate.
2. Campaign Management & Strategy
1. Project management of climate justice campaigns projects, including the Fossil Free & Divest Barclays campaigns.
2. Developing and maintaining strategic external relationships and partnerships and representing People & Planet in coalitions, external conferences etc.
3. Producing and monitoring annual plans and budgets for climate justice campaigns.
4. Developing and maintaining systems of monitoring and evaluation for campaigns including re-development of strategy to better meet objectives where appropriate.
3. Movement Building
1. Plan and deliver campaign events and actions, and ensure students are supported to organise their own actions and events.
2. Plan, write and produce accessible and well-designed campaign materials including action guides, newsletters, action cards, email updates, films and web stories which communicate the campaign in an accessible and engaging way.
3. Design and deliver training for both staff and students on campaigns and campaigning skills. 4. Speak at People & Planet events and externally (e.g. on panel debates or at conferences). 5. Ensure that campaigns are adequately promoted and featured in People & Planet national events such as Regional Events and the Power Shift summer event.
4. Fundraising, Donor Management & Income Generation
1. Collaborate with colleagues on Funding Strategy Group to obtain and build financial support for People & Planet.
2. Contributing to the organisational budget setting and monitoring income and expenditure monthly/quarterly.
3. Identifying opportunities and securing funding for People & Planet's work and our Campaigns and Movement Building work in particular through developing and writing funding grant applications which may include joint applications with partner organisations.
4. Develop and maintain good relationships with donors: enthusing them about our work and maximising the opportunities for future funding(includes writing reports, attending meetings and maintaining regular, informal contact).
5. Line Management and Peer-to-Peer Management
1. Participate fully in the peer-management structure of People & Planet, including managing another member of the management team.
2. Line manage an intern.
6. Organisational Management
1. Contribute to and participate fully in the running of the organisation including through the management team, staff meetings, working groups and consultations.
2. Contribute to other work of the organisation when required.
Essential criteria Skills and knowledge
Excellent oral communication and presentation skills with ability to persuade, build rapport with others and negotiate effectively.
Excellent written communication skills, particularly attention to detail and the ability to make written communications persuasive, accessible and engaging for a diverse range of audiences.
Excellent personal organisational skills with excellent time management and ability to prioritise effectively and coordinate others.
Ability to engage confidently and comfortably with a wide range of people, with proven ability to build productive partnerships and teams both internally and externally.
Ability to train, empower, and inspire young people to take action for economic, environmental and social justice.
A good knowledge and understanding of global economic, environmental and social justice issues, and a talent for explaining them.
Ability to fundraise successfully, particularly through grant funding applications.
Excellent policy analysis and researc
A deep understanding of the nature of oppression and how it manifests in society and a commitment to collective liberation and challenging inequality.
The ability to identify and make the most of opportunities and overcome challenges.
Ability to work well with others who may hold different views to you and have different priorities, including an ability to support and empower activists, rather than direct and instruct.
High level of ambition and enthusiasm for People & Planet's campaigns and communications.
Demonstrable belief in the importance of human rights, environmental sustainability and social justice and the ability of social movements to secure change.
Experience of organisational management.
A good understanding of the Higher Education sector.
Experience of planning and delivering events.
Experience of design with programs such as Photoshop or Indesign.