Applications are being accepted for the position of Associate Dean, College of Natural Resources and Environment at Virginia Tech. This is a 12-month administrative and professional (AP) appointment.
The Associate Dean reports directly the Dean of the college and is a member of the senior leadership team, which includes associate deans, department heads, the Executive Administrative Assistant, and the Directors of Advancement, Alumni Relations, Communications, Information Technology, Administration and Finance, the Advising Center, the Center for Leadership in Global Sustainability, and the Virginia Water Resources Research Center. The Associate Dean is a strategic partner and advisor to the Dean and is responsible for establishing and executing short- and long-term goals and initiatives, e.g., enrollment management, capital planning, coordination of new research initiatives, and the alignment of all functions with the college’s priorities, goals, and initiatives. When the Dean is absent or unavailable, the Associate Dean will have authority in all areas of the college, including signature authority for all personnel and fiscal needs, and will represent the Dean at on- and off-campus functions.
The Associate Dean must work collegially and in support of the academic departments, the Advising Center, the Advancement Team, the graduate program in the NCR, and the business, human resources, and capital infrastructure functions of the college.
Principal areas of responsibility assigned to this position will include:
- Collaborate with and support the Director of the Advising Center and the Advising Center staff in relation to undergraduate academic affairs.
- Oversee the college’s research portfolio, including data collection and analysis.
- Coordinate with the college’s diversity and inclusion committee and oversee the activities and progress of diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Represent the college at meetings across the university and in governance on campus.
- Serve as a resource base for the department heads on issues of faculty affairs, promotion and tenure, policy and governance, and special projects in the college where a departmental contribution is needed.
- Work closely with other members of the Dean’s leadership team in evaluating administrative needs and determining how best to respond to challenges and opportunities for improvement; work with members of the leadership team to identify opportunities for realizing potential efficiencies and economies of scale in areas that cut across programs and administrative functions.
- Collaborate with the Dean’s office staff on an as-needed basis.
- In the Dean’s absence, make day-to-day operational decisions as they relate to administrative operations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
- A Ph.D. is required. Must currently be at rank of professor and have qualifications and scholarly accomplishments needed to be appointed at rank at Virginia Tech.
- Proven leader with outstanding people management, project management, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience in working on confidential personnel and human resources matters.
- Must be able to keep projects on track to timely completion. Must meet deadlines and be a person of proactive planning in working with other senior leaders.
- Experience managing a comprehensive and diverse portfolio of projects and responsibilities.
- Undergraduate teaching and advising experience.
- Track record of successful guidance of graduate students through completion of M.S. and Ph.D. programs.
- Demonstrated understanding of the research enterprise at a research-intensive institution.
- Strong track record of success in securing, managing, and executing grants and contracts.
- Self-starter and able to work alone; self-directed but also able to work collegially in teams.
- Strong computing skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain collaborative relationships.
- A Ph.D. in any disciplinary area of the college.
- Prior academic leadership experience at the level of Director, Department Head, Assistant or Associate Dean.
- Experience with university and/or state policies and procedures.
How to Apply
All application materials must be submitted online at http://www.jobs.vt.edu. Refer to posting number AP0180069. For full consideration, all application materials must be received no later than April 18, 2018.
Applications should include the following information:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of interest
- The names, titles, and complete contact information for three to five references. References will not be contacted until the later stages of the screening process; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
Nominations for candidates are welcome and can be forwarded to:
Dr. Paul M. Winistorfer, Selection Committee Chair
College of Natural Resources and Environment
Cheatham Hall, Room 324 (MC 0320)
310 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0324