Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This internship is located in the UN Environment/New York Office.
The UN Environment/New York Office internship is for three (3) months. The internship is UNPAID and full time. Interns work five days per week (35-40 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Under the direct supervision of Programme Officers of the UN Environment/New York Office, the internship’s responsibilities will be as follows:
- Participate and report on intergovernmental and interagency processes and special events that will be held at UN Headquarters, particularly the processes of the 72nd session of the General Assembly (GA), the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), and various processes established to follow up the outcome of the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20), and the UN 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, among others.
- Participate and prepare reports on side events and briefings related to the work of UN Environment, and sustainable development in general
- Conduct background research and draft information packages for UN Environment sustainable development knowledge management
- Produce content for different communication products and platforms, including the UN Environment New York Office website
- Assist in communication/information and special outreach events and exhibits organized by UN Environment, as needed
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions
Preferred area of study: Enrolled in Master’s or Ph.D. degree programme in a graduate school at the time of application and during the internship in: environmental studies, international relations, international development, environmental policy or law, natural resource management and communication, and demonstrated interest in environmental issues.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Your application for this internship must include:
- A Completed application (Personal History Profile) through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. In your Personal History Profile (PHP), be sure to include all past work experiences, IT Skills, and explain why you are the best candidate for the internship and what you hope to gain from the internship.
- Proof of enrollment from your university (click on link to access and attach to your application: http://unon.org/content/internship-programme),
- A certified copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted. Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.