Reimbursement: Unsalaried placement with local travel and lunch expenses paid
The Institute for European Environmental Policy is a sustainability think tank. Working with stakeholders across EU institutions, international bodies, academia, civil society and industry, our team of policy professionals composed of economists, scientists and lawyers produce evidence-based research and policy insight.
Our work spans nine research areas and covers both short-term policy issues and long-term strategic studies. As a non-for-profit organization with over 40-years of experience, we are committed to advancing impact-driven sustainability policy across the EU and the world. IEEP offices are based in Brussels and London; more information is available on our website.
We have an internship vacancy within our Communications team in our London office.
The Communications team consist of three members focusing on internal and external communications including supporting the website and design, public relations, dissemination and promotional material, and internal communications. The internship would be of value for those interested in science, sustainability and policy communications, digital communications and press relations. The successful candidate will be introduced to the day-to-day communications in an energetic think tank. The internship takes an educational approach to science and policy communications with supporting text reading and regular development feedback.
Areas of involvement:
- Supporting the development of IEEP’s social media management and strategy
- Supporting external newsletters
- Supporting press database and relationships with press
- Supporting website management
- Copywriting, proofing
- Contributing to organisational and administrative tasks
The candidate will be expected to contribute to the team up to 5 days per week unless agreed otherwise in advance. However, consideration would also be given to applicants wishing a part time placement (minimum three days/week). The position will begin as soon as possible and run between 3 – 6 months. Please clearly indicate your availability in the application form.
Interested applicants must:
- have excellent written and spoken English and the ability to present information in a clear, precise and accessible style;
- have a desire to learn and take on challenging new tasks
- have a strong interest in communications and environmental sustainability
- have proficiency in the Office package (esp. Outlook, Word and PowerPoint)
- have good organisational and time management skills
- be capable of paying close attention to detail
- have basic knowledge or understanding of EU policy-making
In addition, it is advantageous if interested applicants:
- have demonstrated experience in designing and using social media tools
- have contributed to the management of newsletters and/or bulletins (including at academic level)
- have experience of managing a (press) database and having liaised with press requests
- have experience in keeping or maintaining a blog
- have a proficiency in using the Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign; Photoshop and Illustrator would be an advantage)
- have a degree in a relevant subject (e.g. communications, journalism, design, environmental science, political science), or other degree with some previous experience working in this area
- have fluency in another European language
IEEP and its Internship Programme
The IEEP internship programme promotes early career progression or change of career. Interns assist staff research activities and gain practical insights into environmental policy and communications. We commit to provide supervision, coaching and support throughout the internship to give graduates valuable work experience, while also creating opportunities for independent work and initiative.
If you are interested in applying, please fill in the application form and send it together with your CV to [email protected] In the subject line of the email, please include:
All applications must reach us by the 21st of March (5pm). Interviews will be held the week of the 26th of March, in either in the London office or by telephone/ Skype.
IEEP strives to be an equal opportunities employer and undertakes that there shall be no discrimination in employment policies, salaries or working conditions on grounds of race, ethnic origin, gender, disability, religious or other belief, sexual orientation, marital status or age.