The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality Headerquarters located in Portland, OR currently has a Full-Time opportunity in our Community and Program Assistance section for a Water Quality Program Analyst to join an innovative team, and work to advance our agency mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environment.
About the Division
The Community and Program Assistance section provides overall leadership and program guidance for the state’s, clean water state revolving fund loan program, NPDES water quality compliance and reporting. This includes policy, administrative rule and guidance development and interpretation; training development and delivery; consulting with regional staff on issues and appropriate application of agency rules and guidance; and tracking national and state trends on program issues and developing appropriate agency responses and plans.
What will you do?
This position is responsible for organizing and updating guidelines and informational tools to support operation and implementation of the program, including program communication and marketing. The employee will also support and coordinate reporting data and financial information to EPA and provide overall assistance to the program for keeping guidance, manuals and forms up to date.
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity to join a dynamic team of mission focused individuals tasked with providing high quality environmental data needed for understanding and protecting Oregon’s water resources. Put your creative problem-solving and analytical skills to great use helping to keep Oregon green. We offer full medical, dental and vision health benefits with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and 10 paid holidays a year. Public service loan forgiveness program: If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). Learn more to see whether you qualify at PSLF Program. If you are passionate about Oregon’s environment and have experience testing and regulating water quality, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
Most work conducted in an office environment that requires extensive daily use of a personal computer. Periodic travel in-state and out-of-state that requires a valid driver’s license for meetings and conferences to conduct public meetings and hearings, present program information, provide guidance, obtain training, consult with DEQ program staff and other agencies. Must be available to participate in public meetings to present DEQ’s view on program issues and requirements. Some facility and project visits may be necessary in coordination with regional staff.
- Duties & Responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Create and maintain databases of program information; track, record and compile information to produce reports of program activity.
- Gather data for agency reporting on outcome based measures, key performance measures and other program reporting.
- Create processes and procedures necessary for the Environmental Data Management System data migration.
- Collaborates with the Compliance Program Coordinator to ensure the EPA Performance Partnership Agreement reporting is completed.
- Participate in the development, implementation and tracking of outcome based management for the program.
- Keep website up to date. Coordinate external communication and develop communication strategy
- Qualifications, Required & Requested Skills
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – To be considered a qualified applicant you must meet the following criteria:
A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Administration, Natural Resources or Social Sciences
Any combination of experience or education equivalent to three years technical-level experience coordinating or administering a government-regulated program.
Desired Attributes – Preference may be given to applicants who can demonstrate knowledge or experience with the following:
- Experience with data bases, running reports and data management
- Experience with data and program analysis, including recommending program and process improvements and technical report writing
- Excellent communication skills, in-person and written
- Experience developing and delivering training programs
- Experience with developing and implementing outreach and communication strategies
- Success in working in a fast paced environment with multiple deadlines
- Experience with dealing with a variety of internal and external stakeholders and managing multiple and priorities.
- Additional Information
We appreciate your interest in this position. To apply, please follow these steps:
- Complete the application. We will not accept a resume or position description in place of a completed application. Because of the volume of applications we receive, we do not review any attachments that we do not ask for.
- The work experience and/or education section of your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet all of the minimum and desired attributes listed above. If it does not, we are required to disqualify it. Please be sure to attach your resume demonstrating your experience and how it qualifies you for the position you’re applying for.
- Complete the supplemental questions. Answers to the supplemental questions must be substantiated with the experience you listed in the work experience section of the application. (Please note that your responses may also be evaluated for grammar, spelling and punctuation.)
- To receive credit for higher education coursework, transcripts (official or unofficial) must be submitted at the time of application. Note: To protect your confidential information, please redact (black out) your social security number on all transcripts before attaching to your application.
If you are an eligible veteran and wish to claim veterans’ preference points AND you also meet the minimum qualifications for this position, the points will be added to your score. To receive veterans’ preference points you MUST attach the following required documentation to your electronic application.
- A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; OR a letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs indicating you receive a non-service connected pension for the five (5) point preference.
- A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; AND a copy of your veterans’ disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs for the ten (10) point preference.
For more information on veterans’ preference points visit www.oregonjobs.org, and select veterans’ preference.
The Oregon DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
This position requires you to possess and maintain a current valid license to drive issued by the state of residence OR provide an acceptable, alternate form of transportation.
If you need assistance to participate in the application process, you are encouraged to email Jamaal Gulledge at [email protected] or 503-229-5107. TTY users please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service: 1-800-735-2900. If you have application login problems, get an error message during the application process, or are experiencing other technical (computer related) difficulties, please call the NEOGOV help line for assistance at 1-855-524-5627. You can also e-mail NEOGOV for support at [email protected].
CONSIDER JOINING US!
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is a regulatory agency whose job is to protect the quality of Oregon’s environment.
DEQ strives to create inclusive environments that welcome and value the diversity of the people we serve. DEQ fosters fairness, equity, and inclusion to create workplace environments where everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, physical stature, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, political affiliation and any other factor applicable by state or federal law.
Water Quality Program Analyst
Portland, OR, United States 🇺🇸