Job Number: 511347 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Asia and the Pacific: Fiji
Work Type : Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential to the benefit of a better world.
UNICEF Pacific is a Multi-Country Office based in Suva, Fiji that supports UNICEF programmes and operations in 14 Pacific Island Countries in the areas of Education, Child Protection, Child Survival and Development, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Finance, Human Resources, Administration and Information Technology. UNICEF Pacific has three Field Offices in Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Kiribati.
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF mobilized financing from Australia and the National Committee for Australia for the upscaling and replication of a WASH in Schools programme in Fiji. A WASH in Schools Consultant is being sought who can play a critical role in the roll-out of the UNICEF Three Star approach and actively support inclusion and equity in WASH in Schools programming. The consultant is expected to provide guidance in aspects as gender, menstrual hygiene management, children with a disability, climate change and resilience and cover these in regional sector standards, guidelines and other tools. The consultant is expected to work closely with national government counterparts in Fiji including the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Medical Services, the Fiji Water Authority and the National Disaster Management Office (NDMO). The consultant is also expected to work closely with other UNICEF sections (most notably Education) and various partner agencies including the UN agencies, regional organizations and NGO combined in the Pacific WASH Coalition and National WASH Clusters.
- Degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance;
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development are considered an asset;
- Additional training and experience in emergency/humanitarian response, preparedness and capacity building on disaster and climate risk resilience is considered an asset.
- Eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector;
- Familiarity with Pacific WASH Sector partners and programmes;
- Experience on WASH in Schools programmes focusing on hygiene behavior improvements;
- Experience on WASH Resilience and Drinking Water Safety and Security Planning;
- Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the WASH Cluster approach;
- Methodology of programme/project management;
- Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNICEF positions and approaches.
- Fluency in English and knowledge of Fijian or Hindi or other Pacific languages is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Thu Mar 01 2018 22:00:00 GMT+0100 (CET) Fiji Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Mar 18 2018 12:55:00 GMT+0100 (CET)