As a member of the Advancement team, the Development Coordinator is responsible for gift processing and acknowledgements and high-level administrative and substantive duties to support the department’s fundraising activities. This includes engaging volunteers and organizers through the National River Cleanup® program.
The position works closely with the fundraising team as well as community volunteers. It reports to the Director, Development Operations with a dotted line report to the Director, Corporate Relations.
Duties and Responsibilities
National River Cleanup® (50%):
- Work closely with the Director, Corporate Relations to execute the National River Cleanup® program, including supporting local cleanup organizers and meeting corporate sponsorship requirements.
- Coordinate logistics for corporate and other organizational cleanup events, including traveling to and serving as a spokesperson at select events.
- Support local organizers with their river cleanup events by processing trash bag requests, posting events on American Rivers’ website, developing organizer tools and resources, and sending mailings, as well as obtaining their cleanup data.
- Support internal and external program communication activities including publishing blogs, increasing volunteer engagement, drafting internal program updates, and engaging field staff in program activities.
- Track program data and draft annual sponsorship reports.
Gift Processing and Acknowledgments (45%):
- Prepare daily deposit memo for all gifts received in DC Headquarters corresponding to the daily check log and stock/ACH notifications and using standard templates and G/L coding protocols. Seek input from the Director, Development Operations and program managers, as necessary, to complete general ledger coding for new grant revenue and restricted contributions.
- Maintain complete chronological electronic records of all deposit memos with supporting documentation in shared drive and outlook.
- Ensure accurate, timely, and complete updates to the donor database through daily entry of all contributions and related transactions through batch process (corresponding to daily deposit memo and stock gift/ACH notifications) or transaction upload (quarterly payroll deductions, periodic workplace giving campaign updates, etc.).
- Using data from multiple sources including daily acknowledgement files, workplace campaigns, payroll, events, etc., generate acknowledgement letters using standard templates for specific constituencies and gift types within 48 hours of receipt. Scan signed letters, prepare for mailing, and maintain chronological electronic record of all sent letters and their original source files.
- Send notification cards upon receipt of honor/memorial gifts; maintain archive of sent notifications and record contact in donor database.
- At the direction of the Director of Development Operations, perform periodic transaction maintenance in donor database including, but not limited to, source code adjustments, corrections or reversals.
- Assist with administrative duties required for participation in the EarthShare workplace giving campaign, including processing state registrations and donor acknowledgements.
- Attend and/or coordinate appropriate staff to represent American Rivers at EarthShare events.
- Verify contributions for matching gift eligibility through online portals or paper forms.
- Process credit card contributions through donor database.
- Provide telephone coverage; answer, screen and respond to general inquiries.
- Schedule and coordinate weekly team and monthly department meetings, arrange conference calls.
- Coordinate and document Senior Vice President’s travel and expense reports.
- Create and maintain accurate constituent records in donor database (ROI).
- Support Senior Vice President for Advancement with scheduling and preparation for Board committee meetings.
- Compose, edit and prepare time-sensitive correspondence, reports and proposals as needed.
- Train and supervise student interns and temporary employees as needed.
- Participate in organization-wide activities: Enthusiastically and effectively participate in planning and activities.
- Perform other fundraising duties and special projects in support of the Advancement Department, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience, or at least two to three years of relevant fundraising experience. Ideally, work related experience will have been gained in conservation/environmental organization with emphasis on fundraising in an advancement or development office.
- Highly-detailed; proven ability to manage multiple projects effectively and efficiently, prioritize competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to locate and interpret financial and biographical information from a variety of sources.
- Must be able to write concise research documents with attention to accuracy.
- High energy level, flexible, self-motivated, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- High level of professionalism, integrity, and discretion.
- Ability to work effectively with a range of personalities and working styles and with people at all levels of the organization who are geographically dispersed, including staff, board, foundation officers, and donors in person and remotely.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Personal commitment to the American Rivers’ mission. Preference given to candidates with some knowledge of and interest in conservation issues.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time and full-time equivalent employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to: [email protected] with “Development Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls please.