The Department of Geography in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at Minnesota State University, Mankato seeks qualified applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position. The successful candidate will be responsible for effectively teaching courses in the undergraduate and master’s programs in Geography and in the interdisciplinary undergraduate Earth Science program.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to student growth and development, scholarly research or achievement, collaboration with public, private and/or non-profit organizations, and service to the department, college, university, and community.
- Required Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Geography, OR Master’s degree in Geography AND Ph.D. in a closely related field. ABD considered. (If ABD, degree must be conferred on an official transcript and received in Human Resources by September 28, 2018.)
- Ability to teach Soils Geomorphology, Introductory Geography and Applied GIScience techniques in these specialty areas.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrated potential for effectiveness in teaching, scholarly research, continuing professional preparation, contributions to student growth, and service to the university, community and discipline.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Ability to teach a course in regional geography.
- Ability to teach a course in agricultural geographies.
- Potential for collaboration with public, private and/or non-profit organizations.
- Potential to engage and enhance interdisciplinary learning and research.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
- Additional Information
Minnesota State University, Mankato is a comprehensive university of approximately 15,000 students located 85 miles southwest of the Minneapolis – St. Paul Metropolitan Area. The Department of Geography is home to 125 Geography and 35 Earth Science undergraduate majors, 30 master’s students and nine faculty members. We host two state-of-the-science computer labs for GIScience and have a wide array of field equipment to enhance faculty and student research including: Trimble GNSS units, a Ground Penetrating Radar array, a fleet of DJI drones, and new equipment acquired as part of the AGES (Archeology, Geography and Earth Science) Laboratory to conduct pollen and dendrochronological analyses. The department offers the B.A., B.S. and M.S. degrees in Geography, the B.A. and B.S. degrees in Earth Science, and certificates in Geomorphology and Earth Surface Processes and in Geographic Information Science. We also collaborate in an interdisciplinary certificate in Geoarcheology with the Department of Anthropology. Please visit the department and program website at http://sbs.mnsu.edu/geography/ for more information. The University hosts the multidisciplinary Water Resources Center that conducts applied research in the areas of water and land resources and is home to the Minnesota River Basin Data Center, a data clearinghouse that plays a central role in shaping public policy, determining needs, and setting priorities to enhance the condition of the Minnesota River.
Additional information on Minnesota State University, Mankato can be found at: http://www.mnsu.edu.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To apply for this position, please continue the process via this website or directly at: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/vacancy/jobopp.html. A complete online application will include the following attachments. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three (3) references
- Unofficial Transcript(s) of all graduate and undergraduate degree(s). An official or certified copy of transcripts for the highest completed degree will be required prior to any interview as a finalist for this position.
Dr. Cindy Miller, Search Committee Chair
Department of Geography
206 Morris Hall
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Mankato, MN 56001
Phone: 507-389-2700 or 507-389-2617
Email: [email protected]
TTY: 800-627-3529 or 711
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/bargaining.html.
NOTICE: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MN State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Assistant Professor (Geography)
Minnesota State University-Mankato
Mankato, MN, US