The Division of Health and Environment (DHE) is a trusted advisor to our clients in providing innovative, evidence-driven solutions that contribute to a healthier environment and the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities. We are market leaders in providing policy and regulatory support; advancing public health and clinical epidemiology; providing environmental science, natural resource management, and ecosystem restoration; shaping healthcare policy and health services delivery; responding to mental health and substance use disorders; and studying the criminal justice system. The underpinning of our work is a research-to-practice framework, through which we engage in activities from research to program implementation. DHE provides a dynamic and collaborative work environment to our employees that fosters professional growth and promotes a culture of innovation, thought leadership, technical excellence, and collaboration.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Research Assistant to support the Division of Health and Environment in Cambridge, MA.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Applies general knowledge of principles and concepts in the field(s) of specialization. Learns and applies standard quantitative and/or qualitative methods and techniques. Learns methods, procedures and systems to manage research data and carry out tasks related to discrete segments of the overall project. Receives training from more experienced staff. Reviews work product to ensure quality and consistency with standards, procedures and protocols.
- May participate in discrete portions of the contract proposal process under close supervision, compiling data backup materials and portions of the final document.
- Reviews professional journals and publications to extract and summarize information relevant to assigned research projects. Uses or learns to use internet-based search techniques to expand informational resources and available research tools. Summarizes findings for review by fellow staff members.
- May monitor and verify budgetary and cost data related to on-going projects. Reports on variances and deviations. Coordinates information for review by more senior staff to ensure adherence to schedules, plans and budgets. Exercises initiative to refer questions and inconsistencies to more senior staff and implements corrections as assigned.
- Provides administrative support, as required, to support the project team. This may include assisting in the coordination of presentations, meetings and conferences. Applying common knowledge of business needs, exercises judgment and discretion to ensure the availability of resources, proper sequencing of events and activities, etc.
- Under close supervision, may collaborate with clients by telephone or in person to solicit or collect information related to on-going or proposed projects. May also implement clearly defined procedures for data collection, manipulation and preliminary analysis.
- Applies knowledge of computer-based word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database applications. As required by business area, may learn and apply basic statistical programming applications such as SAS, SPSS or other specialized applications. May validate data or perform simple statistical modeling and forecasting.
- Keeps abreast of trends and developments in the proposed field(s) of specialization. May attend formal training to enhance technical system application skills or quantitative/qualitative analysis skills.
- May accompany more senior staff to professional association meetings, recruitment gatherings and in-house events.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- This is an entry-level position requiring quantitative, writing and/or research competencies and skills.
- Strong academic record required.
- 0 – 1 years of experience with bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.