Global Communities is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. Global Communities is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an anticipated $7 million USAID-funded food security and livelihood project in Syria. The purpose of the program aims to combine humanitarian assistance and development approaches to strengthen resiliency at the household and community levels in Syria through improved food security and livelihood opportunities. The program will adopt a systems-oriented approach to strengthen market linkages, value chains, and market functionality critical to food security, while enabling farmers to increase agricultural and livestock production – through improved access to inputs, training, water, and land management technologies, among others. This position is based in Global Communities’ Hasakah Governorate office in Northern Syria, which is a stable area relatively unaffected by the ongoing conflict. This position reports to the Chief of Party (COP).
- Provide management support to the COP and technical leadership to ensure that project activities are responsive to the Syrian context and to USAID objectives.
- Manage technical implementation to ensure that the deliverables represent the outcomes of sound, ethical, and verifiable data collection and analysis.
- Lead technical design, data analysis, and report writing.
- Assist in planning and organizing the annual work plan and preparing the program budget.
- Work with the COP and partner organizations to link individual components and program activities to strategic objectives.
- In coordination with the COP, establish and maintain strong relationships with local and international NGOs and civil society organizations, government agencies, Syrian partners, and the private sector to ensure sound implementation of activities funded by USAID.
- Ensure that Standards of Conduct, the Employee Handbook, and other corporate and applicable policies, procedures, and schedules are adhered to.
- Recommend operation’s policies, procedures, and schedules within limits of authority.
- Other duties as assigned by the COP.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in USAID regulations; prior experience working on USAID-funded programs preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in overseeing program start-up under limited time constraints and achieving results quickly.
- Proven success in dealing with complicated partnerships and skills in prioritizing major strategies and critical relationships.
- Excellent team-building and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to develop staff capacity in cross-cultural settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, analytic skills, interpersonal skills, and team management skills.
- A Master’s degree in economics, agronomy, agricultural science, or a related field.
- At least 8 years of progressively responsible experience in the humanitarian, transition, or development field, with at least 2 years of experience in conflict zones.
- Previous experience in data analysis and report writing.
- Experience managing and building capacity of local staff.
- Experience managing sub-contractors is highly preferred.
- Experience working on programs implemented in Syria is highly preferred.