Global Communities is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. Global Communities is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated $7 million USAID-funded food security and livelihood project in Syria. The purpose of the program aims to combine humanitarian assistance and development approaches to strengthen resiliency at the household and community levels in Syria through improved food security and livelihood opportunities. The program will adopt a systems-oriented approach to strengthen market linkages, value chains, and market functionality critical to food security, while enabling farmers to increase agricultural and livestock production – through improved access to inputs, training, and water and land management technologies, among others. This position is based in Global Communities’ Hasakah Governorate office in Northern Syria, which is a stable area relatively unaffected by the ongoing conflict.
Provide strategic, technical and administrative leadership to achieve program goals.
- Develop a program implementation plan.
- Monitor and evaluate all work. Ensure clear delineation of roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure that all donor and other sponsoring organization compliance and reporting requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Analyze budgets, prepare financial reports, and provide recommendations to HQ on budget expenditures.
- Manage the office including personnel, property, finance, security, premises, vehicles and communications.
Lead and direct staff and operations
- Plan and coordinate the flow of work.
- Supervise, train, and guide staff.
- Establish work plans and annual performance goals for each team member, ensuring timely and quality execution of group deliverables.
- Make recommendations concerning employment, termination, performance, and other personnel actions.
- Ensure that Standards of Conduct, the Employee Handbook, and other corporate and applicable policies, procedures, and schedules are adhered to.
- Recommend, approve, and implement operation’s policies, procedures, and schedules within limits of authority.
Manage coordination mechanisms with relevant stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with local and international NGOs and civil society organizations, government agencies, Syrian partners, and the private sector to ensure sound implementation of activities funded by USAID.
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, external stakeholders, and Global Communities headquarters staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Senior-level experience leading and directing international development projects including as a COP; experience managing USAID-funded projects strongly preferred.
- Experience supervising complex, high-speed and challenging field operations in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in overseeing program start-up under limited time constraints and achieving results quickly.
- Excellent team-building and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to develop staff capacity in cross-cultural settings.
- Strong management and supervisory skills; achieving results and meeting deadlines.
- Experience in managing highly visible and politically sensitive projects.
- Proven success in dealing with complicated partnerships and skills in prioritizing major strategies and critical relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, analytic skills, interpersonal skills, and team management skills.
- A Master’s degree in international affairs, social science, or a related field.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the humanitarian, development, or transition field. Within the 10 years of experience, the COP must have at least 5 years of experience managing teams and at least three years of experience working in conflict zones.
- Previous experience managing expatriate and local staff in conflict zones.
- Previous experience on programs implemented in Syria is highly desirable.
- Previous experience managing sub-contractors is highly desirable.