The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. In Uganda, the DRC programme provides comprehensive assistance and protection to refugees and other vulnerable populations, supports durable solutions to protracted displacement and works to reduce armed violence (for more information go to www.drc.dk)).
This position is central to the implementation of Water Sanitation and Hygiene activities in Refugee settlement. You will be required to guide implementation of WaSh project activities, providing an insight into cultural sensitivity and thoroughness of communication to the beneficiary communities, as well as assisting to see that the activities are implemented in an all-inclusive, timely and participatory manner.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Designing and supervising water construction works for piped gravity flow schemes, hand pumps, protected springs etc.
- Work with the district water officer and community leaders in carrying out routine maintenance and major rehabilitation of water schemes.
- Create linkages between communities, the project, local government extension staff and the target communities in water, hygiene and sanitation promotion
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Formation/training of water user committees for the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Participate in collection of useful data, success stories and beneficiaries list as required.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights reports and proposals and budget for donors.
- Perform compliance inspection of new construction(s) which pertains to the settlements water distribution system to determine that all fittings are installed and in accordance with prescribed standards, plans and specifications.
- Carry out minor and majors repairs and installation of new materials, supplies, machinery and/or equipment
- Conduct water testing and advise accordingly and come up with solution where need be to improve on quality.
- Test water to determine the flow rates and inform users of its quality.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
- Support the WASH Officer to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters.
The WaSH Assistant shall report to the WaSH Officer.
Qualifications and Qualities
- Minimum of Diploma in Environment Health Science, Water Engineering or WaSH related course from recognized institution.
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the above field would be an added advantage.
- At least two years’ experience in implementing WaSH project
- Thorough knowledge of WaSH national and international standards.
- Strong competence in English literacy
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel; minimum)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
- Demonstrated ability to work in war conflict areas
- To establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the local languages spoken in the operation area is an asset.
- Familiarity with Monitoring & Evaluation for UN-funded projects desired.
Applications should be in English and include the following:
A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
Please send your Cover letter, CV and Academic certificates by email to [email protected] by 6th March 2018 5:00pm clearly indicating position name in the subject line. We thank applicants for their interest in the position however; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.