The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Senior Director of Communications to be based at its Philip Merrill Environmental Center headquarters located in Annapolis, MD.
Context of the Position
CBF’s Communications department is broken into three functional areas: Creative Services, Digital Communications, and External Media. The department’s charge is to market CBF and its policy agenda, educate and engage the public, and support the organization’s priorities and initiatives. Communications also manages internal communications and public opinion research.
The Senior Director of Communications will serve as second-in-command of the Communications department and be responsible for designing and implementing strategic communications and marketing campaigns that elevate CBF’s profile, educate key audiences (including CBF staff), and inspire actions that help save the Bay. The Senior Director will report to the Vice President of Communications and supervise the Senior Writer, the Senior Manager of Community Engagement, and a part-time Senior Naturalist while working to ensure integration between the Creative Services, Digital Communications, and External Media teams. The Senior Director of Communications may also represent the Vice President when he or she is otherwise unavailable.
Strategic Communications and Marketing:
- Work closely with the Vice President of Communications to develop and implement CBF’s overarching strategic communications and marketing plan.
- Work closely with key programmatic (policy, litigation, fundraising, etc.) and Communications colleagues to create and execute integrated communications campaigns.
- Serve as Communications lead for the organization’s five-year Making History campaign as well as project lead for discrete communications efforts.
- Develop and manage an integrated editorial calendar that accounts for all forms of media: earned, owned, and paid. Oversee content development and marketing strategies to ensure all opportunities—expected and unexpected—are leveraged to raise CBF’s profile, engage audiences, and inspire support for clean water initiatives.
- Oversee the internal communications strategy to ensure CBF staff posess the messaging and training necessary to deliver CBF’s key messages.
- Ensure close collaboration and strategic coordination between the Directors of Media, Creative Services, and Digital Communications.
- Manage the Senior Manager of Community Engagement, Senior Writer, and part-time Senior Naturalist.
- Represent the Vice President of Communications when he or she is otherwise unavailable.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in related field plus a minimum of ten years’ experience in marketing, communications, media, or digital media. Proven ability to develop and manage comprehensive strategic communications programs that leverage the power of storytelling. Exceptional written, oral, and presentation skills. Expertise and awareness in digital and traditional media, including new and emerging technologies. Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills. Demonstrated confidence in collaborating with staff across all levels, including executive leaders. Ability to manage projects and lead teams. Attention to detail, respect for deadlines, and strong visual, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. Experience in a mission-driven, environmental advocacy and educational organization is desirable.
How to Apply
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements no later than March 23, 2018 to:
Chesapeake Bay Foundation