Field of activity
Since its restructuring in 2012, Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) has worked to reform the city’s ‘informal’ sanitation sector and strengthen its supervisory role. As a GIS specialist, you will support the activities of the KCCA department that is responsible for sanitation to further expand its GIS-based planning and monitoring system and help administer the capital city’s sanitation infrastructure and services more efficiently.
Working with the KCCA, you will develop the existing GIS plans into an integrated system designed to facilitate strategic decision-making, monitoring and public communications in the sanitation sector. One of your main tasks will be to help link the WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) database with the newly established call centre.
- Working with the KCCA to extend and integrate the current GIS systems and develop a uniform approach that supports regulation, monitoring and knowledge management.
- Supporting the KCCA in compiling and analysing data on sanitation infrastructure and services in Kampala.
- Training personnel at the KCCA’s main offices and in the city’s five divisions on the use and maintenance of the integrated GIS system.
- Advising the KCCA on the monitoring system currently being developed. This system is based on mobile communication devices and is designed to work with the GIS system.
- Working closely together with GIZ’s sanitation programme team.
You offer the following qualifications:
- University degree in a relevant subject
- Several years experience of developing and using GIS-based systems (including experience in the sanitation sector)
- Experience of training others in GIS applications and a good overview of GIS-based monitoring systems
- Motivation, openness, teamwork and communication skills; analytical and structured method of working
- Good spoken and written English
You offer the following competencies:
- Experience of working in or with (local) government bodies in Europe and Africa
- Experience as a trainer and/or coach
- Experience of water/sanitation infrastructure and management
- Experience of complex project structures
- Based in: Kampala
- Climate: sub-tropical
- Health care: good local medical facilities (hospitals, clinics and specialist doctors)
- Shopping and other supplies: very good range of shops (almost European standard), many international restaurants
- Travel to location: regular flights to Entebbe international airport
- Schools and school fees: good international schools, GIZ reimbursement scheme for school fees
- Other: Kampala is a family-friendly location with a large international community and a wide range of leisure opportunities