Development losses caused by disasters as well as population and GDP exposure to hazards are continuously being increased in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). The country is exposed to various hazards, with most common ones being earthquakes, floods, droughts, heatwaves, wildfires, landslides and man-made hazards with climate change forecasts predicting an acceleration of extreme weather phenomena. Numerous challenges the country faced after the war, combined with political deadlocks and weak economic situation, resulted in non-prioritization of disaster risks. This lead not only to weak general capacities of civil protection but also to unabsorbing of improvements and new approaches in dealing with disaster risks. Today, disasters in the country range from high-frequency small disasters to devastating events such as May 2014 floods that caused total of 2 billion EUR losses and damages.
Disaster risk reduction (DRR) sector in the country requires a strategic roadmap and actions strengthened with new tools and approaches moving away from business as usual. To address these challenges Interlinking Disaster Risk Management in BiH Project was launched. Project will strengthen DRR capacities at all government levels in BiH by putting in place legal and policy frameworks and implementation of disaster and climate risk management measures. Project is supported by Italian Agency for Development Cooperation and implemented by UNDP.
Objectives of the Assignment
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Environmental Disaster Risk Reduction Expert is to contribute to integration of environmental aspects into disaster risk reduction strategic planning at local level in BiH. Expected result of the assignment is improved quality of risk assessment and strategic planning from the environmental perspective in line with relevant EU requirements.
The Assignment will be delivered through coordinated and participative approach which will include close cooperation with relevant governmental institutions and other relevant partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Provision of recommendations for upgrading of local disaster risk assessment methodologies and Disaster Risk Analysis System (DRAS) from the environmental perspective;
- Revision of risk assessments for 7 municipalities and provision of concrete recommendation for improvement from environmental perspective;
- Revision of local development strategies for 7 municipalities and provision of concrete recommendation for improvement from environmental and disaster risk reduction perspective.
All tasks will be done in close collaboration and support of project working group and UNDP.
In detail, consultant is expected to provide advice and suggestions on improvements of above mentioned methodology, risk assessments and development strategies:
- Deliver a workplan for the assignment that will include detailed list of relevant domestic and international documents that will be reviewed (regulations, policies, studies, methodologies, risk assessments, local development strategies) including best practices related to role of ecosystems in disaster risk reduction, list of interviews/meetings to be conducted with relevant domestic and international stakeholders. Final workplan will be approved by UNDP. UNDP will provide translation of relevant BiH documents.
- Develop a methodology for upgrading of local disaster risk assessment methodologies and Disaster Risk Analysis System (DRAS), risk assessments and local development strategies from the environmental perspective. Methodology will be based on best practices, latest developments and international standards, in particular EU, in the field. Among other, it will list methods and tools that will be used. Final methodology will be approved by UNDP.
- Deliver a set of recommendations for upgrading of local disaster risk assessment methodologies and Disaster Risk Analysis System (DRAS) from the environmental perspective. Advice and suggestions should take into consideration overall disaster risk reduction concept and be based on best practices, latest developments and international standards in the field and in particular EU but also fit to the context of BiH. Final recommendations will be approved by UNDP.
- Review and deliver recommendation for improvement of risk assessments and local development strategies for 7 municipalities from environmental perspective. Advice and suggestions should take into consideration overall disaster risk reduction concept and be based on best practices, latest developments and international standards in the field and in particular EU but also fit to the context of BiH. Final recommendations will be approved UNDP.
The duration of this task is estimated to be 25 working days including one missions to BiH within 2 months. Consultant will also agree to give a written interview to local media on disaster risk management if requested.
Deliverables and timeline
The consultant is expected to provide the following deliverables and services:
- Deliver a set of recommendations for upgrading of local disaster risk assessment methodologies and Disaster Risk Analysis System (DRAS) from the environmental perspective – 20th April 2018;
- Deliver recommendation for improvement of risk assessments and local development strategies for 7 municipalities from environmental perspective – 30th May 2018.
Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Demonstrates ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behavior;
- Respects individual/cultural differences; utilizes diversity to foster teamwork;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in, and adaptation to a change process.
Partnering and Networking:
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as work autonomously.
- Plans and procedures quality results to meet established goals.
- Technical writing skills, formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Strong communication skills;
- Presents information in a clear and articulate manner.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Strong analytical skills;
- Knowledge and experience on environment and ecosystem-based disaster risk management with focus on risk assessments;
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in disaster risk management, law, environment or development or other related fields.
- BA in combination with 2 additional years of working experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in the area of environment with focus on risk assessment;
- Strong understanding of EU environmental standards and trends;
- Proven knowledge and previous experience in preparation of analysis and reports.
- Fluency in written and spoken English language is required for this assignment.
Other desirable skills:
- Proficiency in computer applications such as MS Office, CAD, GIS, etc..
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical Criteria weight-70%
- Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points for technical criteria assessment would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.