Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Africa Office helps to implement UN Environment’s Regional programs in Africa by initiating, coordinating and catalyzing regional and sub-regional cooperation and action in response to environmental, challenges, opportunities and emergencies. This internship is for 3 months with a possibility for extension depending on the needs of the Organization. The Internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The overall duty of the intern is to assist in the implementation of UN Environment’s communication and outreach programmes in Africa. Under the overall supervision of the Regional Information Officer, the Intern will:
- Conceptualize, write and edit stories, op-eds and other content based on reports, interviews, field trips and other sources;
- Assist with the production of videos and photo essays;
- Identify and produce compelling stories from reports and ensure maximum readership for stories and other content, including pitching to media;
- Undertake other editorial tasks as required;
- Assist in preparing concepts and proposals;
- Perform any other duties that maybe assigned.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
c. Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred field of study: Journalism or related discipline with a demonstrated competency in story/article writing.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.