Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international humanitarian NGO, is currently looking for highly qualified WASH Engineer for DRC’s operations in Bangladesh, based in Cox’s Bazar/Kutupalong. This position is open to Bangladesh nationals only.
About the job
To be able to carry out WASH related activities including but not limited to: Water point installation and rehabilitation, Water treatment, Sanitation infrastructure construction and Hygiene promotion. The WAS H Engineer will work within union parishads of Ukhia Upazila, Cox’s Bazaar with possible travel to needed areas within Cox’s Bazaar district. The main responsibilities will include working to design and improve the technical engineering implementations of DRC’s WASH program including designing, quantifying, specifying of water points; preparing contractual documents and managing them; managing geophysical and hydrological studies; installation and maintenance of various water points including pumps; water treatment and quality testing, hand dug well construction, latrine (HH and communal) construction; drainage and solid waste management facilities.
The WASH Engineer will also be responsible in coordinating and leading any emergency response with the support of DRC’s senior team; involving WASH efforts, creating and drafting technical designs and submitting regular reports.
- Assess needs for WASH interventions (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene facilities) at community level including Public schools and Health facilities
- Ensure “Accountability in WASH” at every stage of the project, satisfying the needs of the beneficiaries
- Preparation of drawings (AutoCAD), BoQ/Cost estimates and tender documents for all WASH infrastructures following DPHE and WASH Cluster guidelines.
- Help design and revise the construction/rehabilitation works component of the project work-plan, and monitor that the implementation of the construction/ rehabilitation activities respects the deadlines and appropriate quality
- Preparation of feasibility studies/ reports
- Ensure the technical design and construction of WASH infrastructure (hand dug wells, latrines, drainage, solid waste management facilities…)
- Prepare contractual documents such as BoQs and technical specifications for WASH activities
Project implementation, monitoring and reporting:
- Regular monitoring of ongoing construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executed as per quality, design, specifications and work schedule
- In coordination with WASH Manager, preparation of weekly, monthly work plans and construction progress reports; periodical reports and database management
- Site selections (including GPS locations) together with communities
- Conduct water quality tests, train the DRC’s staff members and community representatives regarding field level water testing and sanitary survey inspection
- Keep close coordination with contractors through regular meetings
- Verify the work done at site and recommend for the payments to contractor(s)/casual labors etc and completion certificates
- Working in harmony with all other project staff and field team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH project in targeted areas
- Updating and submission of 4W matrix to WASH manager on monthly basis, or when required
- Perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of DRC
- Manage and supervise geophysical and hydrological studies
- Install and maintain of various water points including pumps
- Carry out and supervise water treatment and water quality activities
- Ensure the training of DRC staff members in technical areas including water quality testing, and building and maintaining quality WASH structures.
- Conduct trainings regarding operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities for beneficiaries and Water management committees
- Extend all possible technical support to other team members and contractors when and where required
Coordination and representation:
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, prior to intervention explaining DRC’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
- Represent DRC in various meetings as required.
- Always work towards promotion of DRC principles and humanitarian values in the communities.
- Supervise his team in the field
- Report to his line manager on a daily basis concerning all programmatic and personnel issues.
To be successful in this role we expect the following skills and qualifications:
- Five years’ work experiences in WASH and similar role in development and/or humanitarian sector;
- Proficient in Auto CAD, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Excellent communication skill; written and spoken English
- Able to be diplomatic in communications with all NGO, governmental, and community partners;
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability in an ever-changing environment;
- Ability to write periodical reports and correspondence;
- Analytical skills and ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Familiarity with local (Chittagong) dialect would be an added advantage.
- Valid motorcycle driving license
- University degree in Civil or Hydro Engineering
- Fluent in English
- Fluent in Bangla
Location: Cox’s Bazar/Kutupalong
Start date: As soon as possible
Contract length: End December
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Bangladesh.
All employees are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Applications must be submitted through this page by clicking apply. Applications submitted by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: March 6th 2018.
Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and recruitment may happen prior to the specified deadline.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.