Based in Seoul, the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI supports stakeholders through complementary and integrated work streams – Green Growth Planning & Implementation and Knowledge Solutions – that deliver comprehensive products designed to assist in developing, financing, and mainstreaming green growth in national economic development plans.
GGGI has been working in India to promote green growth and sustainable development since 2013. GGGI has worked at national, state, and city levels to develop and implement green growth strategies that reconcile short-term priorities with long-term vision of higher economic growth, environmental sustainability, and social inclusion. At the state level, GGGI worked closely with the governments of Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh (HP), and Punjab to develop comprehensive green growth strategies together with each. Going forward, GGGI intends to build and scale up our programmatic activities to launch green growth interventions at the national level in India. GGGI’s aim is to assist the government in delivering on its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) ambition.
India’s NDC highlights the need for access to financing, knowledge sharing and transfer of green technologies and capacity building in order to meet global commitments under Paris Agreement. Facilitating the flow of domestic and international climate finance and investment would be a key contribution to support India’s NDC implementation.
Objectives/Purpose of the Assignment:
The Consultant shall contribute to GGGI’s in-country implementation work by developing financial models and delivering financial analysis for Green Investment Services (GIS) projects. The Consultant shall also contribute towards the implementation of projects – both in-country and in partner countries – with a special focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency sector.
Scope of Work:
The Consultant shall provide the following:
Financial analysis and Implementation support
- Support GGGI India team in identifying financeable projects and programs in-country
- Work closely with GGGI project managers to conduct financial modelling, structuring, business modelling and investment plans, and (pre) feasibility studies for investments/ projects
- Conduct policy and market research in the thematic areas of GGGI – energy, water, green cities and land use.
- Draft project related documentation, including funding proposals, teaser documents, and investor presentations
- Conduct financial analysis of projects before they are taken on board by GIS for further development
- Advise on the viability of ongoing and future GIS projects carried out, including the technical, economic and financial sustainability viability
- Closely collaborate and liaise with GIS team based in Seoul for guidance and advice
Communication and Policy Engagement
- Work closely with government partners in implementing projects and programs, recognizing the importance of government buy-in and ownership in the implementation of all activities under GGGI India program
- Assist the India country team by providing technical inputs while organizing workshops, seminars, conclaves and other event formats. Event organization shall include planning, venue scouting, invitation of participants, ground support, and leading some aspects of the events. The Consultant shall also assist in writing speaking points for team members
- Help profile the country program, by assisting in developing technical communication material
- Help build robust relationships with multiple stakeholders, including public sector officials, key private sector and non-governmental stakeholders, banks and other stakeholders as necessary
- Support in producing and disseminating technical literature on country program achievements, new initiatives and results
The Consultant shall be based out of New Delhi, working in close collaboration with GGGI’s Green Investment Services (GIS) team in Seoul.
The Consultant shall provide the following outputs:
- Financial Models and analysis
- Complete financial models and plans for GGGI projects, programs (including but not limited to renewable energy projects, debt/equity financial funds, project finance etc.)
- Financial analysis to determine the feasibility of projects
- Cash flow models, valuation models and pro-forma statements (with balance sheet)
- Marketing Material (Presentations/Concept Notes) for stakeholders on the relevant project to engage, leading to potential collaborations to be duly approved by GGGI. This shall include:
- Key Considerations for conceptualizing bankable projects
- Market/Sector Identification
- Barriers for implementing the project
- Stakeholder Mapping
- Planning documents for Investor Forums/GGGI events. These shall include:
- Finalizing the agenda in consultation with the GGGI focal person
- Idea Teaser documents (Fliers)/Infographics, for potential use as marketing material to pitch to relevant stakeholders.
- Documents and infographics, focused on obtaining the engagement of the Government or key stakeholders
- These documents should present a snapshot of selected projects
Each month, the Consultant shall provide a monthly progress note to the supervisor of the project. In addition to this note, the models and material developed during the process will be appended.
- Education: MBA or Masters level in Economics, Finance, or related fields;
- At least 5 years of total experience, with experience in financial model development, project/financial structuring and in clean energy sector.
- Experience in international climate change management sectors, particularly focused on relevant policy implementation
- Experience in a top tier financial institution or/and top tier consulting firms desired
- Demonstrated experience of working in multi country context and international setting
- Fluency in written and spoken English; knowledge of Hindi is an advantage