The Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO) is seeking an experienced consultant; fluent in issues related to gender equality (and/or) international climate finance (and/or) international financial institutes; and with a background in participatory research and impact evaluation and learning, to assist and build-up WEDO’s current work and research at the intersection of women’s rights and climate finance. The primary undertaking of the consultant will include supporting the overall implementation of an evaluation and learning initiative related to the Climate Investment Funds (CIF). As part of efforts to generate key lessons learnt towards the 10th anniversary of the CIF, this initiative aims at capturing ways in which implementation of investment plans and projects have been enhanced via the early engagement of women’s groups/ women beneficiaries/gender machineries in development and design. The intention is to establish learnings on proven methods, common challenges, and transformational impacts of these efforts, articulating clear and useful guidance for decision-makers and implementers. This work should support CIF-wide goals on gender mainstreaming, aimed at “women’s improved asset position, voice, and livelihoods status through access to benefits from CIF-funded investments.” In addition, this work aims to provide important learning to other climate finance mechanisms.
In addition to strategic partner mapping, desk research and development of case studies, work will include impact evaluations using traditional survey based data as well as interviews, and in-country workshops. Candidates should have demonstrated proficiency in conducting rigorous impact evaluations, preferably, from global and national contexts. Candidates should also have the ability to communicate technical knowledge and expertise in multiple different environments, with policymakers and practitioners.
The Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO) is a women’s global advocacy organization based in New York. Officially founded in 1991 in the run-up to the Earth Summit (UNCED, 1992,) WEDO, a champion for women’s rights, has built a reputation as a trailblazer in promoting human rights, gender equality and the integrity of the environment, notably in sustainable development.
For several years, WEDO has been a leading women’s organization, working with allies to advance gender-just climate policies, particularly with a focus on international policy via the UNFCCC and via monitoring and advocacy within climate finance entities such as the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the newly established Green Climate Fund (GCF) and mechanisms such as the Climate Investment Funds (CIF).
Duties and Responsibilities
Working with the Project Lead at WEDO, the Consultant will provide support to the following:
- Undertake initial assessments and methodological planning interviews, including desk research and partner evaluation, to complete initial inception report and project sampling strategy, including by identifying and analyzing structured and unstructured data, to further enhance methodologies;
- Develop and implement an engagement strategy for stakeholders as part of initial impact evaluation (using traditional surveys);
- Support coordination and delivery of: a) Online webinar of initial learnings and evaluation results; b) Two in-country consultations/ workshops; c) Side event on key findings.
- Translate analysis into final report with results from participatory action research, case studies and evaluation results;
- Facilitate regular communications with CIF Evaluation and Learning team, as well as other key stakeholders, including update calls and bi-monthly reports;
- Provide general technical and analytical support for the duration of the project, from design through analysis;
- Facilitate building partnership or maintain relationship with various external stakeholders engaged in the initiative.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline and 7+ years work experience. PhD or additional advanced training will be a plus. Relevant disciplines include Gender, Environment, Human Rights, Economics, International Policy, Statistics or other related disciplines;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are essential; knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Portuguese is an advantage;
- We welcome candidates with a research interest in the areas of women’s human rights, climate change, sustainable development, macroeconomic policies, feminist action research (and preferably the interconnections of all of the above);
- Familiarity with software and platforms used for data collection and analysis;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Well organized, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrated coordinate multiple teams of people, organizations and activities concurrently;
- Willingness to undertake travel and interact with different stakeholders.
Duration / Effort
This contract is a short-term consultancy for the duration of the project period (5 Mar -31 December 2018). It is envisioned that the consultant will work approximately 150 days during this project period.
Qualified candidates should submit their application, including Resume and Cover Letter, with indication of daily rate, no later than 2 March 2018. Applications are requested as soon as possible, and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
We appreciate all who are interested, but only successful candidates will be contacted. Please, no telephone inquiries.
WEDO is an equal opportunity employer and encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.