The Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO) is a women’s global advocacy organization based in New York. Officially founded in 1991 in the run-up to the Earth Summit (UNCED, 1992,) WEDO, a champion for women’s rights, has built a reputation as a trailblazer in promoting human rights, gender equality and the integrity of the environment, notably in sustainable development.
The Program Associate will join the WEDO team in managing an exciting portfolio of projects related to women’s leadership, climate change policy-making and social justice advocacy. The Program Associate plays an essential role in supporting all aspects of implementation of these projects, from strategic planning to budget management and evaluation.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Keep abreast of and share relevant news and current events on WEDO’s key focus areas;
- Draft, edit and proofread policy documents, position papers and publications;
- Coordinate logistics for women advocates attending the UN climate negotiations (flights, visas, per diem, travel insurance);
- Manage budgets, keeping track of all receipts and projections for future meetings;
- Review and where needed, design, monitoring and evaluation processes;
- Report on activities quarterly, as well as comprehensively at year’s end;
- Provide information, analysis and insights to assist the WEDO Team in overall advocacy strategies;
- Participate in and monitor UN meetings and other conferences related to sustainable development;
- Develop and maintain contacts with network of WEDO partners;
- Assist with the development of funding proposals and reports to donors;
- Assist with hiring, training and supervising interns;
- Translate technical information into information that can be used by advocates and partners who may not have expertise in sustainable development;
- Represent WEDO at local conferences, workshops and panels;
- Support other program activities, as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to WEDO’s vision and deep alignment with its feminist values;
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Gender, Environment, Human Rights, Economics, International Development, or other related disciplines);
- 3+ years of experience in program roles within human rights, environmental and social justice nonprofit or philanthropic sectors; proven track record in executing the responsibilities of this position, including budget management and evaluation;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills in English are essential; knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Portuguese is an advantage;
- Familiarity with current issues related to gender, environmental and social justice, in different local, national and global contexts;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a small-team-oriented environment while also carrying out responsibilities with considerable independence;
- Effective time management skills;
- Willingness to travel internationally for between one to two weeks at a time;
- Critically thinking, positive and fun individual.
Desired qualifications (will strengthen candidacy)
- Website design and/or management skills (e.g., HTML, writing copy, updating content);
- Eye for design / Competence with Canva and/or Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience in utilizing social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) for advocacy goals;
- Public speaking experience;
- Knowledge of the UN system and love of acronyms;
- International work and/or travel experience.
WEDO is an equal opportunity employer and encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work.
WEDO provides a flexible benefits program at minimal cost to the employee. We offer a rewarding, friendly, supportive, and collaborative work environment, excellent health insurance coverage, paid time off, and employer pension contributions when eligibility criteria are met.
Qualified candidates should submit their application, including Resume and Cover Letter, no later than March 16, 2018. Applications are requested as soon as possible, and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
We appreciate all who are interested, but only successful candidates will be contacted. Please, no telephone enquiries.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.